Help. Need to open 3 ports for a game

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuparon

Solid State Member
I'm using a Linksys Wireless G Router (Model # WRT54G)

I need to open up ports 5121, 6121, and 6900. I appritiate all the help.

I know how to get into my router config and all, but don't understand how to open up ports *lol*

Ok, first of all (as you already know), open up the configuration (192.168.1.1).

Under the Gaming tab (Port Forward), you can forward a series of individual ports to a computer on the network (ex.: 192.168.1.103) - Or you also have the option to forward all ports to that computer.

*lol* the configuration is the only thing i know how to open up/do.

so if you wouldn't mind explaining it more easier for me to understand i'd appritiate it.

I would rather only open up those 3 ports and not not open them all up.

~ So under the "Application" collumn i just put like the name of the game i'm running

~ The "Start" & "End" collumns don't know what those mean at all

~ Protocol. Difference between TCP & UDP?

~ IP Address. how do i know what to make the address.

Sorry for sounding dumb and all but i'd really appritiate the help

For the IP address, open a command prompt (Windows 2K or XP) or DOS prompt (Windows 98) window (for and type ipconfig. Your IP address will be listed. (The address may change from time to time if you are using DHCP from your Linksys.)

Start and End are probably the starting and ending port range in case you need to open up a while range like from port 5000 to port 5019. Easier than entering 20 of them (especially since most of those little routers only give you room for like ten rules max). For a single port you can probably just put the number in start and leave end blank or put the same number in both.

Application is just anything you want to call it for a shorthand. The router uses only numbers. The shorthand is for you to remember why you put that in.

TCP & UDP: How much time do you have? (Seriously.) Short answer: They are different methods (protocols) for sending data across the internet. Different games use different protocols, and the game you are trying to open the ports for should mention which protocol each of those ports need to be open for. Many games use only TCP or only UDP. Some use both, but might run TCP on 5121 and UDP on 6900. You just need to match what the game needs.

I'll be leaving work in an hour. When I get home, I'll post detailed instructions (I have the Wireless G too).

Oh! Capricorn beat me to it! ;) And you are correct. Start and End are to forward a range of ports to a network IP address (ex.: 192.168.1.103).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom