Help moving DVD drive to different IDE cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

grant

Beta member
Hello,

I'm trying to move my DVD drive from the cable that my OS drive is on to its own cable. I've tried unistalling it in XP and disabling it in the BIOS, but as soon as I unplug the ribbon cable and start the system, it locks up at the motherboard system info page. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'm sure its something simple, I'm just new to all this. Thanks for the help

Do u have any other drives connected on the new cable ur trying to use the DVD drive on ..

Have checked the jumpers on the drive .. ?

I'm a little unclear 'bout ur post ..Are u sayin' that if u just disconnect it from the hdd n' restart ..the system's freezing?
'Coz that's really wierd ..
Finally have u set the IDE detection to Auto ..or is it manually configured?

It may be that your POST is not actually freezing up. I know when I change my drives' locations on the IDE bus it takes about a minute before it recognizes the new setup... can't even get into BIOS until it's done... Try turning your computer on, then go have a sandwich or go to the bathroom or something... just wait a couple of minutes, see if it gets through.

Also, make sure that the jumpers on your DVD drive are set correctly (i.e Master, Slave, or Cable Select). Assuming that the DVD drive is the only item on your secondary bus, you should set it to Master.

Also check the cable, make sure a) it's good, and b) that you didn't put it in backwards (meaning that the second connector is closer to the drive than to the motherboard), and c) that you are using the correct connector (the one on the end for Master, the one in the middle for Slave).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your replies. Right now there are only two things on one ribbon cable: OS drive as master and DVD as slave. The other IDE port is not being used. Maybe I wasn't being patient enough. When I disable the DVD in the bios, uninstall in XP and unplug the dvd from the ribbon cable, on restart the Intel motherboard info comes up and freezes there. It doesn't even reach the bios. I'll try it again and be more patient and see if that helps. When I see it stop there if figure its screwed up. And I'll definitely check my jumper settings.

I guess a related question is: Is it best to have DVD drive a master on one cable and two other hard drives on the other cable? I want to use the second hard drive for the virtual memory/page filing stuff and some picture files. I do already have two other sata hard drives using the onboard raid 0 for my video and one other sata drive on a PCI card for rendering files. I just want to get the best possible performance out the drives.

On most newer mobo's .. and ofcourse newer os's like XP...the data transfer rates are handled pretty well irrespective of the devices on the cable.

In anycase ..it is alwayz advisable to have devices with similar data transfer rates on the same cable.

N' also .. this would prevent slow reads from ur harddrive ..when the dvd drive is having trouble reading scratched disks etc.

I side with Preet on this. I stick my cd drives on a different cable than my hd's.

grant said:
Hello,

I'm trying to move my DVD drive from the cable that my OS drive is on to its own cable. I've tried unistalling it in XP and disabling it in the BIOS, but as soon as I unplug the ribbon cable and start the system, it locks up at the motherboard system info page. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'm sure its something simple, I'm just new to all this. Thanks for the help

I don't think you should have involved the bios.You have 4 ide connections,put them where you want.but i use Masters for hd's and slave for cd's.
Why did you do this ? quote:
but as soon as I unplug the ribbon cable and start the system, it locks up at the motherboard system info page.

:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom