Help with Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

DazedAenima

Beta member
I'm new, found this site doing a search, and was hoping you all could help or give me suggestions.

My computer is like 6 years old or so... it's wasn't from a big company, it was put together by my dad's friend, so I really don't know what's in it, aside from the HD i installed last year.

My fiancee and I were getting computers ready for gaming, and instead of buying a brand new computer worth $2,000+ I wondered if I could buy a new motherboard and processor and add some RAM... if it would be that simple.

So my questions are:
- Does it make sense to do this?
- What kind of motherboard should I get?
- I want an Intel not AMD so I'll get like a 2.8 or higher processor, but should I also get a new fan if I do this?
- How hard would it be to do this?

Lots of stuff, but I'm hoping you guys can help! Thank you!!

::edit:: I know I need a new motherboard because it's so old, it wouldn't be compatible with most of the stuff I'm putting in it, or at least that's what I'm guessing.

How much do you think it would all cost??

dazed-

Definitely use some of the old stuff. ( CD-ROM, 3.5 floppy, Hard disc, key board, mouse, etc...) this will save you some cash for the stuff you really want to invest in.

I would recommend an ASUS type motherboard. They won some awards for best motherboard this year. the A7N8X-E Deluxe is very popular for AMD processors.

Processors - go with an AMD. they are much cheaper and thier performance is outstanding for the price.

As for difficulty, if you can access the internet, there is plenty of help/support available.

Cost: I built a budget gamer for $550 (does not include OS) doing the same thing. Salvaging all the parts i could off of my old computer then strapping them on to my new computer.

Here's my setup.
ASUS A7N8X-X motherboard
AMD 2500+ processor
512 Mb Corsair XMS series PC3200 RAM
40 GB hard drive
SIluro FX 5200 video card ( its not the greatest but it plays!)

Thank you, I've lined up the main stuff I need from tigerdirect.com, I just don't know if i'm missing any key parts, and what I can use from my old computer, if it'll be compatible with the new motherboard seeing as it's old.

- Asus P4P800 Deluxe Socket Motherboard w/ Intel 3.0 GHz Processor
- GeForce FX 5200 Video Card 256 DDR
- PowMax 400 Watt Dual Fan Power Supply

And some RAM and a sound card.

But, could I still use my existing modem and sound card in the rebuilt computer?

And I was definitely planning on using my current HD, RAM, CD-R, keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.

i'm sure your ram won't be compatible if thats 6 years old m8, you need to go for the ddr400 pc3200 and get a 512mb stick this should be fine

Personally I wouldn't go for 256 RAM, especially on a 5200 card... way better performance on a Radeon 9800 pro with half the memory. It's a ton of dough for the 256 cards these days, and in a lot of benchmark tests they perform slower than their 128 meg cousins. In a year or two they might start to become more useful as the software evolves, but at the moment my 9800 pro is giving framerates faster than my monitor can draw and that's good enough for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom