help me....BIOS problem? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2005, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default help me....BIOS problem?

alright i would not consider myself a newbie. i have had trouble installing a 80gb wd caviar se hdd on an old m/b. it is not the 32gb or the "64gb" barrier. initially had some trouble getting it to register but eventually was able to format and install windows. i had an error with the BIOS still retaining an entry for a cd-drive i had removed and ran auto-detect to try and correct it. auto-detect hangs. after this my computer no longer acknowledges the presence of my hdd. please advise

m/b: pc chips m747 v1.5

Old 05-31-2005, 12:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

try clearing the CMOS?

take out that battery for the amount of time the manual tells you and then place it back in

also, pc chips isn't a good//reliable brand, so it might be the mobo's problem

I don\'t play for fun, I play to win and winning is fun.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

its alright i managed to rectify this problem during the afternoon. thank you for your help. i was aware pc chips is'nt the most reliable lol and i had already tried clearing the cmos both by removing the battery and using the clear jumper. for anyone else who may encounter a similar problem i solved it by removing the new hard drive and reattaching the old one, then running autodetect. i booted with the old hdd then shutdown removed it and replaced it with the new one and all is fine again. if i had the money i wouldnt encounter any of these problems because id have a brand new computer but i dont so i make do
Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Closed Thread