Help on Intel Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruzweb

Beta member
OK, I need some help. I don't do alot of hardware related stuff so I'm going to give this my best shot.

I got an Intel 845 chipset motherboard with IBM oem branding. Socket 478 with 3 PCI and 1 AGP slot. I got a Intel Pentium 4 chip for it but the heat sync/fan doesn't seem to work with the mobo. All the online diagrams show a little plastic bracket around the socket where the HS should just snap in. But, since this bord is a few years old, it doesn't have that, it just has the 4 holes where it looks like i'm supposed to screw something in.

So that's my situation. Here are my questions.

1) Can I get the plastic bracket for the board anywhere?

2) Can I still use a PCI video card with it and not buy a new AGP one (there's no on board video)

3) I have a 145 watt power supply, considering the chipm the DVD burner, the DVD drive, and the IDE 60 gig hard drive, will this be enough.

This motherboard is almost like the one I have (the only exception is the OEM branding and mine has 2 USB ports) and This is the processor/fan I bought

Any help at all, would be apprecaited.

If it's a socket 478 then yes you need the bracket that the heatsync /fan assembly connects to. This bracket should be available at most computer parts stores- google search for it or an after market heatsync combo that comes with it's own bracket.

Yes you should be able to use a PCI vga with it. You might need to change a bios setting however.

I'd say if your case will hold a larger PSU then buy at least a 350 watt.

just my 2 cents.

Ok, cool. Wondering of that kinda thing was even available as I really dont' want to buy a new heat sync. Not sure how I'll be able to change a bios setting with no display, but I'll see what I can do. And I got tons of cases so that won't be a problem, thanks dude

if you want an AGP card, you'd first have to find out whether it's AGP 1x, 2x, 4x or 8x. if you put a card into a socket with a speed it does not support, you can kill the video card, and possibly the motherboard too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom