Help with External Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen Kutler

Beta member
I got an IOGEAR external hard drive. It came in FAT32 with 4
partitions. I intended to remove the partitions and reformat to
NTFS.

I went into disk management and removed the partitions, but now neither My Computer nor disk management sees the drive!

(I can see it in device manager and shows to be working fine - it is just "invisible" to "My Computer").

How do I reformat the drive if I don't know what letter is assigned? How do I get to "see" it again?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

That means you have deleted all the partitions of it, and windows cannot see it. If this drive was internal, you would boot into DOS of a floppy and run FDISK and create partitions. Since this drive is external, get yourself a copy of partition magic. That should let you create a NTFS partition and windows will see it.

If the HD is connected via USB (???) then you might be able to go into the bios and redetect the HD. I have to do that when I got my 200 gig. It had a partition of 127 gigs, and windows wasnt seeing the rest, soI went into the bios and redetected it, and it showed up as another partition in win XP disk manage.

Thanks for the replies. I was really hoping this wouldn't require me to spend $100 on a software program (Partition magic!). Tyler - can you let me know how to check the bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom