Help! Dummie buying new computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasper

Beta member
I am pretty much computer illiterate, learn everything through trial and error, anyway, I am buying a new computer and need all the advice I can get. The main use for it will be for editing and making video's as well as editing photo's. What would you guys buy and why?

Thanks,
Jasper

depending on how extreme you are using the computer, i would still recommend an intel celeron. They are very cheap, and the new processors are going up to 3.3 Ghz.

before considering any computer purchase, memory is the #1 consideration. Always put at least 512 MB on your PC, no question.

also, make sure you have a decent sized hard drive. i recommend at least 80 gigs, as videos take alot of room, as well as photoshop.

another thing to consider is a video card. Just make sure you are not using the integrated video on the motherboard, it doesnt work good at all.

I'm thinking a 3ghz (800fsb, prescott, s478) Intel cpu, 2gb ram, and a radeon 9200 for starters.

I don't make movies so I don't know what kind of graphics card would be recommended. I'm not fond of the new Intel socket LGA775 because of the trouble I had putting on the heatsink.

If Video Editting and Photo Editting is your primary task, I'd do the following.

AMD Opteron 170 Dual Core CPU.
NVIDIA Quadro FX1400 PCI express - SLI Compatible
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe (has great features that you can take advantage of)
* 2 Firewire connecters
* External SATA connector - of external HDD
* 10 USB 2.0,1.1 Ports
* Wifi Module
* many more
2GIG of GSKILL Extreme Series (Under $200)
Antec TT 550w PSU SLi
Antec Performance P180 Case
Couple of Plextor PX-716Al/SW drives
WD raptor 74G 10Krpm HDD (for OS, APPS, Drivers)
Seagate Barracuda 300G SATA X2 in RAID 0 - Additional Storage.
Windows XP Pro

This is roughly a $2500 machine. "BUT - you could do some massive editting with this machine." We are talking Major network productions here... As long as you have the software... this machine is a beast.

Well this is what I'd do anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom