Help designing a Media Server. Tuner card and HD setup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepg

In Runtime
I need a little advice in a few areas about desigining my media server. I have 3 200GB WD 7200, 8mb cache (IDE) and 2 WD raptor 74GB drives. I am probably going to run XP Pro or Small business 2003. I have 2Gb PC3200 and am runnin an MSI K7N Neo2 Plat with a P4 2.6. I have an ATI AIW X600 256 that has a horrible picture. I am giving up on AIW cards. Have not had one work properly yet. I have decided to look at hauppauge cards. Any suggestions? Anyone know if they have a HD card available?

This system is going to be used to Rip dvd, Rip CD's, it will be a PVR, Picture, Music and video server. My question is, what is the most optimal way to set the HD's up? Spann the 200's? Stripe the Raptors? Let me know your opinions here. Which drives should I put the OS on?

I would like to be able to stream to the internet if possible too.

Faster processor will be better for the future 1080p.
ATI has an HDTV card tuner.(only 420p/480i - 720P/1080i)

I also have a MSI K8N NEO4 Plat Board with dual 1GB Network connections. It is running with an AMD 64bit 3200. Is that sufficient? Maybe run XP 64 (has it come out yet?)

I seem to have a lot of problems with ATI TV cards. Especially their All-In-Wonder cards SUCK! I have purchased 5 over the last 2-3 years and have had problems with each one! Has anyone else experienced problems with this? The quality of Cable Tv reception seems extremely poor.

You wanna get yourself an "New-P4 EE 3.2GHz 840 Dual Core CPU"
This would be the ideal processor for this type of system...

Well, that is until AMD releases their Athlon 64 X2 4800+ - LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom