HELP! CPU fan connector is dead on my mobo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidic

Solid State Member
Hi,
I'm new here, and I have a problem with my computer. Earlier today, I removed my DVD burner from my case, and booted my computer. Everything was fine for a few minutes, and then the computer just shut itself off. I restarted the computer, and after a minute, the computer shut itself off again.

After a little investigation, I realized that this was due to cpu overheating -- my cpu fan wasn't working. I tested it on a live connection, and the fan is working fine. Unfortunately, the cpu fan connection on my motherboard is dead. I'm thinking that maybe I somehow disconnected something while removing my DVD burner, but can't figure out what.

Is there anything else I might be missing? Or is my motherboard broken?

Here are my system details:
Asus A7N266
AMD Athlon XP 1600
CoolerMaster Fan and heatsink

I would appreciate any help on this matter. Thanks in advance!

You can get an adapter to hook up your cpu fan to a standard molex connecter(on your power supply). I can send you one, $3 paypal, let me know, or they usually come with case fans you buy at a store.

There is more than one 3pin connector attached to the motherboard. I Infact have the A7N266-VM ASUS motherboard...absolutely hate it...anyway, there is another 3pin connector available that's for the NB fan but I'm pretty sure you don't have a NB fan, so just put your fans connector on that one instead. Why yours all of a sudden died, I have no idea.

IAM_7154,
That's a good idea. I think I'll proceed with that idea. Thanks for the offer to sell me one, but I need it ASAP so I'll go pick one up tomorrow. Would you know if they make these adapters to fit the smaller molex connector that usually connects to the floppy drive?

Nubius,
What's a NB fan? There is one more 3 pin connector available, and it's labeled "CHA FAN," which I assume means chassis fan. I tried hooking up the fan to that connector, but it didn't work. I assume the connectors are in a parallel circuit?

Funny, I was seriously considering a new computer earlier today when removing my DVD burner, which also broke down. Related issue? Well, I can't imagine how it would be related, but who knows...

Thanks for the responses.

NB means North bridge fan, yours probably just has a aluminum somewhat tall heatsink on it near the CPU. You were right in assuming that CHA FAN meant chassis fan, but it's funny that that didn't work for you...maybe they are in a parallel circuit because it'd be odd for them both to go out at the same time =/

I have no clue what could have happened to your DVD Burner unless the reason those 3pin connectors stopped working was a power flucuation issue and it caused damage to the DVD Burner too......

Hmmm sounds like best bet is to just go with the 3pin to 4pin convertor...really cheap like IAM said....also you should REALLY look into getting a new motherboard because that one is fairly outdated and only supports AGP 4x I believe...I know mine does anyway.

I have an ABit NF7-S2G Motherboard I'm trying to sell...check out it's info at manufacturer website www.abit-usa.com it's brand new, I just got the wrong board when I ordered =/ I've long since ordered the right board for my system, but I've just had this NF7-S2G sitting there...it's only been used once and everything is included in it..manual, drivers, IDE cable, sata cable, all that came in the box, $60 + $3 for shipping is what I'm asking cause like I said it's brand new basically =/ US only though so let me know if you even live in the US or are interested :p

I dont think they make connecters for the berg, but the end that plugs into the psu has a male and female end for piggybacking so you dont lose any connectors. Youll see when you get it.

Thanks for the replies. I went to CompUSA today and picked up one of those molex adapters for $5. Kinda pricey, but don't really have the time to look elsewhere or order online. The computer's working fine now.

Thanks again!

Most asus board have three, three pin fan connectors. One for the cpu fan, one for the power fan, and one for the case fan. Even older boards have this. My asus board that runs a 1ghz athlon has this feature. So you can use one of the other connectors.

He said he tried the other fan connector he saw...and I have basically the exact same ASUS board here, and it does have 3 connectors but the 3rd is pretty far from the fan. If he's got it working with a molex connector now I wouldn't worry about it, but it does raise the question, why'd the otherones quit and do you have another bigger potential problem on your hands? Could be starting to go hay-wire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom