Help With Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vampire_Slayer

In Runtime
My computer has been acting funny. First off sometimes when windows is loading off the cpu heatsink fan will stop spinning and twitch. Also sometimes my computer gets in the habbit of turning off on its own, and now it won't go for more than 10 seconds without turning off. I am using artic silver 5 with stock fan. I have it set in bios to turn off at 60 degrees celcius but I don't know why it would get that hot. This has happened before and usually takes awhile for it to happen. Last time I got it working again by taking off the fan and replacing the artic silver 5 but I shouldn't have to replace it every week. So does any1 have any ideas on whats wrong and what I can do to get my computer working?

You would be supprised how hot these things can get.

Its just an idea that the temp. measuring system on your mobo isnt working, or is giving an incorrent reading. It might be worth changing the bios settings to, at least, have the fan spinning.

When you say the computer turns off... does the power reset itself (and the computer trys to start again) or does the system power down?

Also, it might be worth checking if you have any thermal compound on the heatsink... if not then your temp could be 20degC higher than with it
PS. make sure it makes a decent seal with the processor.
(it also might just be worth changing the compound)

These are only heat issues with the processor... but it could be other hardware that could be causing the problem. What are your specs? But I don't see why the comp. should stop working after a time of good service :p

So what is the temperature of the cpu?

How much thermal compound are you putting onto the cpu? All you need is no more than the size of a grain of rice in the centre of the cpu, and let the weight of the heatsink spread it around the cpu. Clean the cpu and the heatsink before applying any more thermal compound with isophyl or something that is over 90% alcohol.

a fair bit of compound... I've like completely pasted my P4...
Its effective though :)

Temp is now (when idle) 48 degC... rather than the previous 68degC

Then again, it is a P4 3.6GHz...
Just a far bit of heat could be produced by one of thoes :p
Like enough to heat my room nicely

Umm yeah the reason it's rebooting is because of your CPU overheating.

If the fan is ceasing, get a new fan.

Well I can't mess with the bios or anything becuase it won't start up long enough, I did put the correct ammount on according the the artic site, and I won't be able to afford another fan anytime soon. Also the computer always works fine for like a week. Also the cpu has never gone past 35 celcius in bios, and then the system guardian thingy that takes my cpu temp that came with my mobo says my system usually runs at 26-32 celcius so it could be the temp checking device I guess. Another thing the power doesn't restart, it just shuts off instantly. Also my specs are in my siggy, but if you want more advanced specs then I have......

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester
DFI LANPARTY Ultra-D
2*512 dual channel pc3200 OCZ Enhanced Latency
OCZ 450w Modstream
80 gig Western Digital SATA drive
old NEC cd drives from old dell
Soundblaster Live! 24 bit
ATI x800xl
Aspire X-navigator case
Stock cooling

Edit-Thx for helping btw.

i had a problem almost exactly like yours. at first i thought you probably had the same motherboard that i had, but you don't. anyways, i had my BIOS set to shut down the computer when the cpu temp got up to 80 degrees but it always shut down at 65 degrees, no matter what i changed the BIOS to. To make a long story short, i found that there was too thin of a layer of thermal gel on the cpu. it was so thin, that it was partially transparent. apparently when i put the fan on, i didn't have it touch the cpu at a 90 degree angle, thus smearing the thermal gel of the cpu. it was a silly mistake but, after reapplying the gel properly, it went from 57 degrees idle and 65+ degree under load to 45 degrees idle and 53 degrees under load. the computer was using an AMD Duron processor so those run quite a bit hotter than Athlon 64s. I really think it's the thermal gel. try a different brand. also, make sure your fan connector is secure. maybe it's loose or a wire is shorting out. that could definitely cause the off and on that the fan is having. hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom