Help!! Cant read hard drive!! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 07:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Help!! Cant read hard drive!!

Hi All. I have added second hard drive that has critical data on it from another computer to my new computer. I installed XP on the new computer and the second drive was picked up, but I cannot view the data on the second drive i.e it is not visible in Explorer. In Device Manager the drive is there and in Computer management it also shows up but is displayed as 'unallocated'. What's gone wrong? How can I get access to the data on the second drive? Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-09-2004, 07:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

unallocated means the partition(s) have been deleted, your data is probably gone. Maybe u accidently deleted it while installing XP?
it this case it is very very hard to recover the files

Old 09-09-2004, 07:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Could be a driver issue, though ive never had to use drivers for hard drives?

Otherwise, maybe the old drive was partitioned and your OS is seeing the wrong partition?
Old 09-09-2004, 07:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

put it back in your old computer and see if it works there, just to make sure
Old 09-09-2004, 07:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

is it a SATA or IDE disk?
Old 09-09-2004, 08:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hi, thanks for replying. The drive is IDE and the data is definately there as I have used a disk recovery program to scan the disk. The program tells me that it is an NTFS logical partition. Unfortunately I cannot use this program to recover the data as it is a trial version! The drive was originally in a machine that had XP and both boot and this second drive were formatted as NTFS. I thought it would be a simple matter of transfering this second disk over to an effectively identically configured new machine but this hasn't been the case! Any further thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2004, 08:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

try to make an user-account wich has exactly the same name and password you used to have on your old comp

login with that account and see if you can acces the drive