help with buying/upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keaton

Baseband Member
It has been time to upgrade my aging pc for a LONG time now, and now that I had just applied for broadband (500k sadly) there is no better time than now. I compiled a list of what I should buy last year, but things change in a year, so I was wondering if I could get some help with it :). I do not know a lot about computer parts, mostly I just get an out of the box pc. But I want to do it right, and on a budget. Anyway this is what I have right now:

I currently have some sort of AMD 750 mainboard,
with 750hrz processor,
64Mb RAM,
a stuffed soundcard,
20Gb hard drive (or somesort),
dvd with cd writer,
floppy disk thing,
A working mouse, keyboard and a big working monitor
And a videocard that dosn't really do anything.

Now I do understand that almost none of that can be kept, so this is the shopping list I had last year:

AMD Athlon 64 2800 - Retail £102.81

£67 EPoX 8KDA3J motherboard

Corsair 512MB DDR Value Select PC3200 - £55.81

Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB - Lite Retail £140.94

£12.50 PSU Q-tec 400W

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160GB SATA - OEM £66.92

And some sort of PSU, 550W Q-Tec probably

I am pretty sure that I can put it all together :) I just can't afford to buy a part that wasn't quite right for my machine. I am new to the insides of a pc, but am keen to learn.

D Keaton

Be clear with what you are asking, are you wanting us to check the specs or to spec one up for you.........im a bit confused

Um, sorry :( I just don't really know what parts I should be buying for my pc, as I have an older pc now that I can use the case, monitor, mouse, keyboard, floppy drive and DVD - CD-R, I just don't know what I should buy for it to get it running properly, for like halflife, Photoshop, 3D tools like Max or Maya, and just general computer internet needs.

I guess I was trying to sound all techie when I don't know much what im talking about :eek:

I have a general understanding of it all, and I know I wan't a good computer, but I am lost when it comes to all bus ports, and matching certain CPUs to particular mainboards and I don't know how or if I can put things in it to future proof it for a year or so.

Im really sorry for sounding confusing, I know forums get enough people not knowing what they are doing, and it dosn't really help :(

- D Keaton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom