Help on building a computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

un655

Solid State Member
See I got this brilliant idea to build computers and sell them on the internet. (Yeah right!) I really should have done more research etc..

It seems what I have put together is an outragous price for what I am trying to sell. No one wants to buy it.

I need your help. Here is what I currently have (list compiled from newegg.com):

Intel 865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "BOXD865PERL" -RETAIL
$89.00

SAPPHIRE RADEON 9200 Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-bit, TV-Out, 8X AGP -OEM
Specifications:
Chipset/Core Speed: RADEON 9200/250MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 256MB DDR/400MHz
BUS: AGP 1X/2X/4X/8X
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video Out)
Support 3D API: DirectX®8.1, OpenGL®1.3
Cable/Accessories: 1 Cable, Driver CD
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
$83.00

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail
Packaging: Retail box (with Heatsink and Fan)
$189.00

Kingmax 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM
Specification
$74.00

MITSUMID359M3D/D359M3B Black 1.44MB 3.5INCH Floppy Disk Drive, OEM
$10.00

Western Digital Special Edition 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD1200JB, OEM Drive Only
$93.00

Optorite Black Internal DVD+/-RW Dual Retail Drive, Model DD0201, Retail
$99.99

LINKSKEY 10/100Mbps PCI Ethernet Card, Model LKF-5100+
$5.00

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack SP1a - OEM
$91.00

Est cost of shipping these products to me:
$42.68

Est cost if I put this on eBay:
$35

TOTAL:
$846.67

Now here's where I need some suggestions..
Are there any other good websites I can buy parts off of besides newegg.com?

Should I remove Windows XP to lower price and offer it as an upgrade instead?

What video card should I put in it, for the highest quality and lowest price?
(Everyone that has been interested in buying the computer, have all been turned off by the one currently in it.)

Should I downgrade the hard drive to 80 GB to lower the price?

Should I choose a cheaper motherboard?

I think that's all the questions I wanted to ask..if you have any suggestions please post those too :D Thanks

Ok, first you should check out the prices at pricewatch.com They compare the prices of newegg and a ton of other sites to see who has the best price. Also, with regards to the video card, use an FX5600 Ultra instead of the 9200. The Ultra is much better and is a DX9 video card, and is the same price. If that isn't good enough for consumers and you want a performance increase for not too much more money, use the ATI 9600 XT. It's $150 on pricewatch. Good luck man, if I had the start up cash I might do the same thing.

If you want to exclude the OS, put the price with and without...that way people that already have an OS will be interested. Some people want to stick with their old operating systems and/or a linux based OS.

newegg isn't your problem, your whole concept is wrong to begin with. you need to cut corners where neccessary to steamline it. first off change it to an AMD system, you reduce much of the costs right off the bat. people want good and cheap.

your motherboard costs too much, your processor costs too much, your video costs too much. are you getting the hint?

here is the gameplan i would go if i were trying to make money on ebay:

get the latest nforce2 IGP BIOstar AMD mobo with onboard video, network, sound. here it is:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-138-234&catalog=22&depa=1

next get a budget XP processor retail version like the xp2000 to xp2500 retail with hetasink.

also i would find the cheapest pc2100 to pc3200 memory only 256MB though. you can give an option to upgrade.

use a cheaper floppy drive $10 is not low enough.

exclude the dvd drive and have it only as an option. have operating system an option. why does it cost $42 to ship to you? the only thing i see that doesn't have free shipping is the case. everything else should be free shipping from newegg unless you dont live in USA. you can see from this approach your system now cost half as before.

Those are good suggestions. I'm used to building good gaming systems. You could cut a lot of corners and bring the price down. Most people don't want a good gaming system, they just want something to get email with and stuff.

I think that #1 switch to a cheaper processer you can get a 2500+ for 85$ which saves you almost $100 then cheaper mobo dvd as an option and basically what everyone else said but your main problem is that to make a profit you need to get parts at cost or as close to it as possible. As good as new egg is you are still paying retail prices which means that you are only making money on is your time for building the pc. You have to find a PC parts supplier that is closer to the cost from manufacturer then you can start to turn a profit.

also a good idea is to offer a warentee many business do this as most people buy them but only a percentage use them and the idea is that with a warentee you get free money for stuff you potentially dont have to buy ....

good luck

obviously you dont warentee overclocking no chip supporter does. plus the percentage of overclockers vs non overclockers buying the warentee would cover your costs. Plus anythign that he is buying is allready comming with a one year parts and labour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom