Help build video editing BEAST!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grego

In Runtime
I work at a small film studio and do a lot of video editing on our PC. Mainly weddings and lots of other random stuff. Anyway, the rig is pretty decent right now, but I know it could be blown away w/o spending a fortune. My boss doesn't know a lot about computers and he bought it on December 31st, 2003 for tax purposes. It's a Sony Vaio PCV-RS 430G, with a 2.8ghz P4 with (i think) a Northwood core and 1gb PC2700.

Now, I'm looking to upgrade it, and it looks like my boss will be willing to shell out in the $750 range (as I quoted him approximate for a dual xeon rig).

I don't have any experience with this type of a setup, but here's what I was looking at:

CPU's 2x: Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz 533MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail ($229)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-117-017&depa=0

Mobo: ASUS "PC-DL Deluxe" i875P Chipset Server Motherboard for Dual Intel Xeon CPU -RETAIL ($195)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-055&depa=1

That adds up to about $660 + minimal shipping. It's also just an educated stab in the dark, moreso the motherboard is. If you have any suggestions that wont drive up the price by too00 much, let em fly. How's it look? I plan on just swapping out the mobo's and cpus...anything else with hardware compatibility I should consider? PSU? I will be able to boot my current HD with win xp on it right?

As for performance, that system would beat the pants off a single 3.4ghz p4 for stuff like video editing right?

Thanks!

In a nutshell no.

I have that sony (it is my wife computer with an extra 120 hard drive added in). it has a mpeg encoder card on it that if sold seperately, it would probably cost $1000.00 (go price mpeg encoders cards). real mpeg encoder cards (I an not talking about those cheap aver card that are out their) will kill any processor and software combo for video editing with it come to quality and speed.

that being said I am amd man. I have 2 AMD computers (a 2800 768ram 80 and 160 gig 128 nvidia vga with aftermarket mpeg 2 encoder card and my kid's 2000 list below, that i basically hijacked, because it is on the main floor). amd are better than pentium's for most chores except one. Video editing

I would spend that money on Adobe Premiere Pro, which you should get a discount for having that particular computer.

oh yeah. this sony has hyperthreading on it too.

I'm not quite sure what mpeg encoder card you are talking about. The card connected to the RCA's in the front?

Even if that were so, that card (at least in the way I do it) has nothing to do with rendering and transcoding video files once I have edited them.

Anyone else care to offer some opinions on the matter? I don't really have any experience with dual CPU's, but from what I've infered up to this point, I would come to the conclusion that dual 2.66ghz p4's would be faster than a single 3.4ghz as far as video editing goes. School me if I'm wrong.

Ah, some evidence to back up my assumption.

In the thread located at http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27354&highlight=dual+vs+single Inaris states "I still run a Dual 1.26 p3 system (2.52 combined) that kicks the crap out of the 3.2HT system I play my games on. Now this is with running Autocad 3d renders and doing FlashMX and 3ds max stuff. Also, I can re-encode video about 4x faster on the dual system as compaired to the 3.2HT."

This talk excites me very much. Hopefully it has not found its way to my eyes through his ass (after following the correct pathway through the keyboard, etc, of course). I'll do some more research about the topic tomorrow, but I'm tooooo tired and sick right now. Input much appreciated.

(Oh yea btw, the Xeons have HT also)

you can beleive what you want. go ahead and waste your money

if you want to see your encoder card, take the back off your cpu.
it is right under the video card, otherwise you won't see it

do some research on high quality mpeg 2 encoder cards. comp usa is the only store that sell one to the public, but the that one has issues

I have a quartet gl on my other computer. I dawn near had to beg for it for a hollywood commercial company.

I have doing video editing for almost 5 year. I was one of the main people on the site www.dvdrhelp.com (formerly www.vcdhelp.com )
that use to teach people how to burn dvds, vcds and how to render video, convert etc.

I use to receive hundreds of email a week with questions about video, vcd and dvd burning.

now there software out there that make it pretty easy and straightforward

it wasn't that way 3-4 years ago

page 2

the comp usa retailedfor $999.00 2 years ago

they gave me mine at wholesale for $800.00 even though they didn't sell it to the public

Now like I said previously, an mpeg encoder card will kill any processor, software combination as it specialized in video reproduction, plus it takes the load off of the processor.

the fast rendering software video processor programs, they sacrifice video quality

the high quality video processor program takes a long time to do

the mpeg encoder card give you the best of both worlds

if you research mpeg encoder cards, you find that I am correct

they are actually called hardware encoder, decoder cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom