Help!!! assembling a computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just had this problem a few minutes ago trying to test out a new computer. i followed microbell's suggestion about putting mobo on cardboard and tested the system outside the case.

actually i had no case or power supply for the new computer and was too lazy to swap out the mobo. i turned it on and all i got was fan spinning, no video. was a bit worried so i installed the computer into another case.

the only thing i changed was took out the DVI-to-VGA adapter on the dual-display video card which was connected to nothing. the thing booted okay. i learned nothing, and my adivice is

connect only motherboard, processor, memory, and video. you do not need a hard disk. it will still boot to a error on POST. you do have to at least connect the power switch pins or you can use a screwdriver to complete the circuit to power you machine on.

thank you all!

the problem was that i did not connect the start botton of the case to the motherboard.

I have wires from my case that are marked " VCC, -d, +d, gnd" what are they?

yeah the "start button" . . .thats a tricky one it is. . .

i assume you have pegs instead of a block header for USB. those are to be plugged into the USB pins on the motherboard. they are for the front of the case, look closely and you should see some lid. flip it open and you should see some USB connections.

here is how to plug it in. notice there are sets of 1's and 2's. if you have a "shield" pin you can plug it in the unused "key" pin or just leave it off. see image:

Attachments

• error.gif
    64.9 KB · Views: 31
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom