Help abput backing up. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Help abput backing up.

Ok so I deleted a few files and wanted to back em up. I want to use data recovery wizard, but it tells me - If you decide to use the Data Recovery Wizard, don't install it on the same disk where you want to retrieve the file from, or you might overwrite the data you're trying to recover. Launch the software from a CD-ROM or an External hard drive. And if you download it directly from the Internet, don't download it onto the disk from which you deleted the file.

Does that I mean I put in a CD-R and install the program there and restore from their but what i ask myself is if i restore there can i move it back to C:

Gaming PC Build:

NZXT Phantom | Intel i5-3570k 3.4Ghz | Asus P8Z77-V | CoolerMaster V6 GT | Ripjaws
8GB 1600mhz | EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB | Corsair HX750 Watt |SB 1.5TBHDD
7200 RPM+WD 500GB 7200RPM | OCZ Vetex 3 120GB SSD | Lite-On 24x Reader/Writer/Burner Drive |
Razer Naga MMO Gaming Mouse | Razer Lycosa Gaming Mouse | Logitech G930 Gaming Headset
Old 07-13-2009, 04:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via MSN to Sheepykins
Default Re: Help abput backing up.

basically when you delete data there is usually always a chance of recovery, the only problem is that when you install new programs or download new things and put them on any hard-drive theres a chance that old long deleted data gets over-written and may not be able to recovered.

for example people who are trying to hide stolen items on their hard-drive. after they have deleted them from a hard-disk then usually they try and fill up that hard-disk as much as possible with more data to over-write the original so it cannot be forensically recovered. (or just drill a hole through the hard-drive)

so if you're downloading software, install and run it from another disk (hard or removeable) is basically what its saying, because theres a chance you might overwrite your original data.

As for your last question i dont understand... move what back to C:? the installation program or the recovered data. the recovered data will go wherever you want it to go once it has been recovered.
Closed Thread