HELP!! 9800pro on AGP 4x mobo???

Status
Not open for further replies.

spec2nr

Solid State Member
if i install my ATI radeon 9800pro on a motherboard with AGP 4x will it cut the performance of the card bigtime? Im getting a bunch of mixed answers from people and i dont know the truth!!! Plese, the more opinions the better!!! i need to know i may just end up taking the 9800pro back :(

There will be a small decrease in performance. It will be noticable.

how small is small? i have not yet used the card with a AGP8x mobo. i have a AGP 4x mobo that came with my comp now. i just wanted to know if its even worth keeeping the card because i really dont want to change mobos. Could you rate the differance in performance between a 8x & 4x on a scale of (1-10) where 1= not worth it/take it back, and 10= really no diff between 8x and 4x. Please :)

Actually there are tech theorists (who know much more than I do) out there that will say that you will hardly notice a performance drop because 8X AGP isn't even fully utilized yet. I have never tried that myself. But those people are also the same people who criticize PCI express because since 8X AGP is not fully utilized yet...the real utilization of PCI express is not for quite awhile. That is why they find upgrading to PCI express at this time a big waste of money. Kind of like buying a 256 mb GPU and a 128 mb GPU.

hu_xu, PCIe cards are cheaper because the originals are made on the PCIe interface. It is a difficult job to port PCIe to AGP. AGP will never survive any longer; there will be no more new AGP cards, only the current generation ones will be produced for a set time period before we fully go PCIe. Plus, even though AGP 8x isn't fully utilized yet, the bandwith is still twice as much as AGP 4x so there will be a difference, a noticable difference. PCIe at this time is not a waste of money, for those who buy pcs when new tech comes out and upgrade, it is a dream come true. There will be more advances in PCIe than there will be in AGP. For now, I'd say the rating would be 4. Better you not use it than use it. Get yourself a AGP 4x card instead of wasting money on something that would perform just the same.

Megadeth2 said:
hu_xu, PCIe cards are cheaper because the originals are made on the PCIe interface. It is a difficult job to port PCIe to AGP. AGP will never survive any longer; there will be no more new AGP cards, only the current generation ones will be produced for a set time period before we fully go PCIe. Plus, even though AGP 8x isn't fully utilized yet, the bandwith is still twice as much as AGP 4x so there will be a difference, a noticable difference. PCIe at this time is not a waste of money, for those who buy pcs when new tech comes out and upgrade, it is a dream come true. There will be more advances in PCIe than there will be in AGP. For now, I'd say the rating would be 4. Better you not use it than use it. Get yourself a AGP 4x card instead of wasting money on something that would perform just the same.

I get completely what you're saying I'm just saying what those people would say.

I'm not a hardcore tech junkie so I won't upgrade the mobo for PCI express until 2006. Right now I have two PCs and a laptop and my best one has 9800 Pro which is good enough to last for 2 years I reckon.

I also heard that some company actually successfully ported PCIe to AGP. I read it in an article somewhere.

you arn't going to notice a big difference from 4x to 8x agp. I had a 4x motherboard and upgraded to an 8x and didn't notice any difference at all. Just stick with what you have it's not worth upgrading and spending more money for like 2 fps. (9)

The Radeon 9800 Pro will run fine on 4x, but it will be a bit smoother on 8x.

I would say keep it. I just got one for my 4x motherboard and its alot better than the ti 500 I had. I noticed a big difference in gaming and thats just on a 4x mb. And you could always upgrade that mobo later if you so choose. I would give it a 7.. Kinda makes me wish I had an 8x mobo to test it to see what the big deal is.

I would suggest to get your new psu, make sure it fits in your dell case, and stick with the mb you have keeping the 9800 pro. It wont be the most powerful system out there, but it will get the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom