Help! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2003, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to x6against7
Default Help!

I have a Viewsonic PF790 moniter and it is acting very strangly. It eracticly flickers on my computer. I'm running windows xp pro. I have a soyo kt333 mother board, a 400 watt power supply and a leditec nvidia 128mb 4600ti video card. I tried the moniter on another computer and it works fine. What's the deal?

Old 10-13-2003, 04:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to Zero Shift

....flickers? as in: the kind of weird screenshow you get when the gfx card is set to a resolution your monitor can't/isn't designed to handle?

if so, the problem may be that the computer it works on is set to a res the monitor can handle, but the other one isn't.
You can either try using another monitor and setting the resolution to one it should handle, like 640 x 480/800 x 600

use the monitor that doesn't work, boot into windows, and:

1: right-click any space that looks empty on your desktop, move the mouse cursor away from the opened window, hit the up arrow once and hit enter. this should take you to the display properties.
2: hit Tab 4 times, then hit right a bunch of times. this will take you to the Setttings tab.
3: hit Tab 3 times, and hit the left arrow key a bunch of times and hit enter. this sets your resolution to the lowest possible setting.
if you get a coherent screen, you should know what to do

i had to personally figure this out, because i had no spare monitor when it happened to me >_<
i hope this helps...

NZXT Guardian Case with Thermaltake PurePower 420w
FIC AU13 motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 333FSB (Barton) with Thermaltake Silent Boost HSF
WDC 80Gb 8Mb cache 7200rpm
512Mb Kingston Dual-channel PC3200
MCP-T SoundStorm audio (integrated)
ATi Radeon 9800 Pro (it owned, until x800 and 6800)
Logitech Z-680 5.1 speaker system (integrated Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, Pro Logic II decoding)
Logitech Cordless Elite Duo keyboard & mouse
Saitek Cyborg Evo joystick
Windows XP Pro SP1 (dont. install. SP2.)
Old 10-13-2003, 06:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

it also might be because you don't have the correct video drivers for you card or you need to adjust your refresh rate.

the refresh can be accessed probably in roughly the same place zero shift mentioned. you can try setting refresh higher or lower to see if this corrects your problem
Old 10-13-2003, 09:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Older But Wiser

I have a PF790 19' flat screen. Had the problem once, do like EK says, set your refresh rate to 60 and see what happens.
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
AMD FX-8150
16 GB Ram
ASUS GeForce 760 GTX

1TB Sata Seagate
100 Gig Maxtor Sata 7200 Rpm
ASUS DRW 24B3S7 ATA Optical
Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell E228WFP 22"
Old 10-14-2003, 05:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to x6against7

I had the refesh rate at 60hertz and the newest nvidia drivers the only other thing i did was download the viewsonic plug and play drivers. But the screen is still acting up it's almost like the power is cutting out but when i tried another tower, the problem never occured. Is there anything else i can do
Closed Thread