Help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Help

When I try to boot up my other computer it gets to the loading Windows screen and then restarts. I disabled restart on system failure and then a blue screen comes up and says system failure. I tried to boot in Safe Mode which does the same thing, reboots the computer. I tried to boot off of my Windows XP cd, it still reboots. Does this mean that the hard drive is fried or? If I go out and buy another hard-drive would it then work?

Old 04-22-2005, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

What is the blue screen error? Do you hear any beeps from the motherboard? Do you here your fansand/or hard drive come on? A little more info would help.

Old 04-22-2005, 07:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I don't remember exactly what the error on the blue screen said. It was something like Fatal System Error 0000000x4 or something. I don't hear any beeps when it restarts but I do hear a click and the fan coming on.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Have you changed or added anything? Can you boot of a floppy? When you boot off the XP CD it doesn't start walking you through the install it reboots?Have you tried memtest86+ to see if your ram took a crap on you?
Old 04-22-2005, 08:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I tried memtest and passed so I know it isn't my RAM. If I try to boot from my Windows XP cd, it just reboots the computer. Nothing has been changed as far as I know.

I don't know if I can boot from a floppy. I ran memtest from a floppy, so does that mean I can? What would I want to run from a floppy? Is there some program I can run from a floppy to see what is wrong?
Old 04-22-2005, 08:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Memberbot

When you first power on your computer, look for the message that says something along the lines of "Press F8 to enter setup." When you see that message, hit the key that it asks. This will bring you into CMOS setup. Once there, look for a menu that something to the effect of "System Monitor." Once you find that menu look for some way to look at your system temperatures. Once you find your temperatures, post back.

Intel E6750...........PSN: ELBATROP
XFX nForce 650i Ultra
Patriot PC2-6400 8GB (4x2GB)
eVGA 9800GT
36GB WD Raptor
120GB SG
1TB SG
Logitech X-530
Samsung SyncMaster 931c
Samsung SyncMaster 750s
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Closed Thread