help with 3d cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelekus

Beta member
ok so im prepping for the release of World of Warcraft and i may need a 3D accelerator card. my current display adapter is NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400. do i need to buy a new card? (the game requires 3D acceleration card)

I was unable to find the exact system requirements. From the looks of the screenshots, it looks like you are going to need more than a GeForce 2 MX. Are you a very heavy gamer? If so, the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro is cheap and will cut through any game around today. If you can afford it, the Nvidia GeForce 6800GT is the way to go these days.

hmm... it says geforce2 or above but also says directx 9... and gforce2 is NOT a directx 9 card.

your card doesn't have to support all of the DX 9 features, it just has to run DX 9 itself
you can download it from Microsoft's website

my PC is running DirectX 9.0c which is designed for the 6800's, and it runs any game that requires DX 9 as long as it's not too hard on my card, or has some features which my card doesn't support

apokalipse said:
your card doesn't have to support all of the DX 9 features, it just has to run DX 9 itself
you can download it from Microsoft's website

my PC is running DirectX 9.0c which is designed for the 6800's, and it runs any game that requires DX 9 as long as it's not too hard on my card, or has some features which my card doesn't support

thats not quite true, apok. sorry to say ;) Depends on what is being taken advantage of. If it is using pixel shaders or not, if not then it MUST be a directx 9 card. Example would be Thief III, you HAVE to have a directx 9 card to run it due to pixel shader 1.0 being used. If you dont have that kind of card, it wont run... and I'm not sure if WoW uses this or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom