help! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Exclamation help!

just started putting together the parts for my computer, so i go to install the motherboard, screw in the little metal thingies in the numbered slots im supposed to have, and i put the mb on top of them and uh oh. none of the screws that came with case fit in the screw holes which are only on the rear side the others are just like metal pins with holes in middle, it also came with pointed placstic thingies, is that what's supposed to go in there? do i need to buy screws? the case ones dont fit and the mb didnt come with them, also, how is the MB supposed to attach, besides at the 3 screw holes closest to the back? thanks,

Gage

Old 01-12-2005, 02:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

What do you mean the case ones don't fit? The screws for the mobo mounts of the case don't fit through the holes in your mobo?

Weird.

You can try the plastic standoffs. As long as they secure the board, they're fine.

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 01-12-2005, 03:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

what i mean is the screws that come with the case dont fit into the screw hole mounts, like i have things that look like this '|'
which screw into the case and have screw holes on top and then i have other things that screw into the case that the motherboard sits on also that have holes at the top that aren't screw holes and the case comes with these little plastic things that are pointed, and i have no idea how to mount my board, all i know is i have 3 screw holes things on the left (looking down) and 2 rows of 3 non screw hole things on the right like this

O (X) (X)

O (X) (X)

O (X) (X)

and the mobo sits atop them with the (X)s going slightly into the holes on my mobo and the Os just below the holes, and 2 kinds of screws that look like they're for mounting HDs and CD drives and little plastic thingys with flat tops for holding and pointed bottoms for sticking into something, PLEASE HELP!
Old 01-12-2005, 04:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

ya, guys this presents a problem because i dont want to run my comp on it's side, someone plz? do i need new screws or something? do the plastic thingys stick in the (X) type pin thingys?
Old 01-13-2005, 09:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Some cases only have actual screw mounts near the back-end bracket, because that side of the mobo gets the most abuse from connecting and removing cables. I would suspect that those brackets on the other side will be sufficient.

However, if this is really looking bad, you can try buying a different case.

I think that's about as much as we can do without some pictures. Got a camera?

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 01-13-2005, 08:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

no, actually im ok now. i unscrewed and moved pins around so now it's like this

(X) O (X)
O O O
(X) O (X)

although you could be right and the middle left O is making it hard to move mobo, so i m ay change it to

O O (X)
(X) O O
(X) O (X)
Old 01-14-2005, 07:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

i agree

Closed Thread