The Hell of owning a DELL - Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
OK. So most of you know that I have a Dell Dimension 8300 that i've upgraded considerably. So here's what happened last night.

I was playing BF2 and all of a sudden, my system froze and I needed to hard boot the PC. As I hard booted, I started to get BIOS beep codes. The BIOS of my MOBO is Award version A07. The beeps are 6 in total. The series to me sounds like this:
1-long -- 2-long -- 3-long - Some documentation that i've read points to this code as a "DMA page register read/write failure".

There are also Diagnostic lights on the MOBO A,B,C,D - the dell documentation lists the different sequences of light colors verse/which ones are lite. ALL ABCD green means passed post. The lights that i'm getting are A,B yellow & C,D green - Which dell lists as a memory error.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/sm/adtshoot.htm

And suggests doing the standard of removing all modules and inserting 1 at a time until you find the faulty module. Well, I did this in ever possible combination and the beeps and lights remain the same.

At first I thought it was the Video Card - X800XT PE. But, i swapped out the card and installed an old 9800pro. Still same beep codes and light combo. I tried everything. Swapped out PSU - same - Reseated CPU - same - removed all IDE - same - remove - SATA - same... I just finished installing most of my components into a PC at work and they all are functioning just fine. (Memory-Video-Audio-SATA) - So it leds me to believe that it is motherboard related. I just spent 80 minutes trying to get through to dell and just sat there listening to automated crap. - hung up!!!

At this point i've tried absolutely everything I can think of. Since i'm not ready to purchase and build my monster gaming machine, i was hoping this one would get me by. I guess not. The only thing I could do at this point is buy a new MOBO for a P4 3.4ghz s478 - which also means, new case, OS, and HDD (I can't lose any data on my current SATA drive) So i'll need to install new OS on new Drive then back up later... DAMN!!!

So if anyone has any suggestions - i'll be more then happy to try them. (DON'T BUY A HELL COMPUTER)

you will also need a new psu, as the main connection to the mobo is different, and i dont think a dell psu even fits in a normal case.

100-199 Series Error: Motherboard or System Board
200-299 Series Error: Memory or RAM
300-399 Series Error: Keyboard
400-499 Series Error: Monochrome Video
500-599 Series Error: Color Video
600-699 Series Error: Floppy Drive
1700-1799 Series Error: Hard Drive

Ok, I have no Idea what your problem is, but I would try their online support. Those guys are Indian, but at least they are better than waiting online. I've talked with them before, and they seem quite knowledgable. Sry I can't help, but at least try the online support. I'm pretty sure that dell support would know more about dell mobos(don't quote me on this).

Also, maybe both memory sticks were killed? Have you tried using memory from the computer you are using right now?

dont e-mail them, they dont seem to know much:

me: is it possible for me to buy a more powerful dell psu for my dimension 5000?

them: a more powerful psu will increase voltages, and therefore damage your computer.

WHAT???? am i missing something on this?

I am not talking about emailing them. I am talking about going into a live chat with them. They are very responsive with their live chats, since it saves them money, and the Indian guys do seem to know what they are doing (somewhat). Maybe i've just been lucky with customer support, but HP and Dell both have been very responsive to my questions, and answered them well. Some of their "fixes" didn't work, but others did. At least give it a try.

oh right. i didnt know they had a live chat thing. i will try that also next time i have a problem with my dell.

(im happy with it at the moment though, lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom