heeeelp!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EbolaRN

Solid State Member
ready to upgrade video, RAM

I got a computer today and ran lots of programs with no problems. Very fast, very cool...until I played Nascar Racing 2003. With high resolution, the game ran at 20 fps then crashed. With low resolution, it ran at 30 fps, got to play for few minutes, then crash!

Is this happening because of my low RAM (256MB minus what video card is using) or cheap video card? Does a cheap sound card have any play in this problem?

I would like to get new RAM (Crucial 512MB DDR PC-2700) and ATI Radeon 9600SE video card.

Will this cure my gaming/crashing problem? What is the bare minimum to play games fast, high details, and NO crashes?

If I do get both, do I add the new RAM card next to old one? Do I toss out old card, or do I replace old with new and place old card in secondary slot? Hope this makes sense.

For RAM, is it better to go with 2 256MB cards or 1 512MB?
I don't plan on going to 1024MB.

Also, I use to be able to check what % my RAM was at by right clicking "My Computer," but with Windows XP I can't find that option. Any thoughts?

Sorry if this is another repetitive newbie post...i really appreciate your support! Thanks

Learning quickly

This forum is great! I am trying to take in as much as possible (deep breath). I went to Newegg and they have GREAT prices. For those who have done business with them, are their products safe, reliable, new, etc? Just wanna play it safe. Thanks

Welcome to the TF.

Gotta side with raiden and say that your graphics card is the cause of your troubles, although more RAM wouldnt hurt either.

And yes, Ive purchased over $2500 worth of PC components from newegg and its always a great experience (and new).

I recently purchased $2000 dollars worth of PC merchandise from Newegg. They have really good prices and very fast shipping. Sometimes you get something that's not in the box properly (one of my floppy drives wasn't even wrapped up in bubble wrap, it was just thrown in the box), or you might get a case with some loose screws or something that's not snapped on all the way, but nothing major to worry about. I remember when i got my crt monitor they didn't give me the cd driver disk that was supposed to come with it, although they did give me the manual that came with the disk. Before i called in and complained, i checked the web and found the drivers i needed and just downloaded them so i didn't have to call newegg and have them send me a disk. In all cases i was able to fix the problem (screwed the face of my case in with screws because the manufacturer was too cheap to do it themselves -- freakin RaidMax). In the case of my floppy drive, it works fine. I haven't received anything from them that didn't work or that i had to send back. Just check all your stuff once you get it. Another place that has good prices is TigerDirect.com, although their prices are best when you live in Florida and you can actually go to their store to pick things up in person (they always have special clearance sales and their store is huge).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom