Heatsinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabetic

Daemon Poster
Ok folks, recently i bought an Akasa AK827 (socket A) heatsink and it arrived today, on the box it says:

AK827
Copper base cooler for
AMD XP3400

Will this still work on my AMD XP 2800, and also, how would i go about fitting the heatsink?

Do you have a link for the product...like where you bought i from. As far as I know a socket A heatsink will fit any socket A processor ( i know makes sense). The 2800 is a socket A so it shouldn't need anything extra...just follow the directions supplied with the heatsink and make sure you get the orientation right (the groove in the copper needs to be above the highest part on the socket).

-Aaron

all Athlon XP's use the same socket. if it is compatible with one socket A CPU, it is compatible with all

it has 2 clips (or one long one that goes to both sides) that clip onto the sides of the socket

how come it says for AMD XP 3400 on it though, i wasn't even aware of such an AMD XP CPU.

It probably means up to 3400 because of the CFM that it pushes out. As long as you have a socket A and the heatsink is socket A then you are plenty good to go. Make sure you put on thermal compund before you install that heatsink.

the 3400XP just means that you could put it on a SocketA cpu up to 3400+ if it existed, as in it will run quite well on your 2800+. Just follow the directions on seating the heatsink properly and you should be fine. if you dont have any thermal compound then i suggest buying some artic silver 5.

but do i NEED the arctic silver as i want to get the 'sink' seated/installed tonight.

If there is "compound" or a "thermal pad" already pre-applyed to the bottom of the Heatsink... then, no you dont need to buy any thermal compound.... unless your overclocking you cpu a lot.

If the bottom of the heatsink is just clean and shiny.. then theres NO thermal material applyed.. witch means u need to buy some.

If there is a pad or compound on it already its pritty obviouse... with means you dont need to buy any compound... just dont touch the "thermal material" to keep it as clean as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom