Heat and Case question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSUfan61

Baseband Member
Recently due to some instablity issues with a couple high performance games, I purchased an Antec 500W power supply to replace my 350W stock Dell power supply. When I checked the temperatures on my video card using ATI tool, they were a little bit lower than what i had with my 350, but the card still idles at around 53-55C and jumps up to about 78 when really pushing it.

Now I have really no experience with heat and cooling issues and so i was wondering if that amount of heat is too much long term for the card? I have a Dell 8400 but have upgraded with an X800 XL, 4X512mb pc2-4200, tv tuner, wireless pci card, and a total of 3 7200rpm sata HDD's. All of those things plus the cables of the new PSU make for a pretty cramped and close-quartered case that only has the powersupply fans and one case fan. I was wondering, if the heat is an issue, would putting all my hardware in a roomier case with another fan or two significantly help out the heat?

Also, if i do need to upgrade cases, could you guys recommend a decent one for under 100 bucks that is compatabile with Dell 8400 mobos? (I think they are BTX but i'd like a case that supports both BTX and ATX for possible future upgrades) I know this is alot to read and alot of questions, but i would appricate the feedback as it will help me learn more about this area in computers and help me to figure out what needs to be done :)

Dell motherboards are propietary and most likely will not fit into another case. The temp of your video card is a bit high but normal from what I read around the forums. I would recommend a new motherboard as well if your going to do a case transfer which will totally make it a non-dell PC.

yeah seriously just get a good Asus mobo or something, and a TT Tsunami and ur good 2 go. if you can dish out about $200

Well Shumway, it took a little modification lol. Basically we had to push down this little piece of spring metal that locked the old power supply into place because the Antec one was a little longer. The other issue was that it has an on/off switch while the Dell one did not. Because of this, there was no hole in the case for the switch. So what we did was put a couple 1/4" screw spacers where the screw holes were to effectively push back the power supply while still giving it enough weight support.

Quite a hassle yes, but effective nonetheless :D

EDIT: I thought you said case, not motherboard.....My Dell 8400 has a 24 pin connector and 12V power like most common Mobo's and the power supply was a 20/24 pin so it worked just fine.

PSUfan61 said:
My Dell 8400 has a 24 pin connector and 12V power like most common Mobo's and the power supply was a 20/24 pin so it worked just fine.

I thought dell used a different pin layout,The plug is the same but a couple wire's are in different spot's :confused:

Well nothing has fried on me yet lol. I'm pretty sure that the newer Dells seem to have the standard pin-outs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom