HDD jumpers for master/slave change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarantulatarama

Baseband Member
I wish to change my laptop hard drive from master to slave. It is a toshiba mk4018gas, an apparently I can do something with jumpers. There are 4 pins at the back; can I link these somehow?

(I wish to try this because a new cd drive is not 'seen' by the computer, possibly because they are both configured master drives. I can't change the IDE channel (no option in BIOS), nor can I change the master/slave configuration of the cd drive. Last option before returning product.)

Thanks...

yep, put a jumper connector across the appropriate ones, they are usually labeled.........you should have a spare jumper laying around somewhere if you build PC's much, if not, most shops would probably give you some for free

You're lap top perhaps only has 1 IDE channel. If that's the case, then you must keep HDD master & CD-ROM slave. "I do believe"

If it has 2 IDE channels then you'll have Primary Master, Primay Slave & Secondary Master, Secondary Slave.

Primarys are for HDD's & Secondaries are for Optical Drives.

wait... what type of CD Drive is it? There should always be jumpers on a CD drive. Master/Slave/Cable Select

teac cdw224e a93 cd-rw drive has no jumpers. I believe they make a slave drive (suffix a83), but ther are no jumpers on this slimline cd drive.

I did come across one that could be altered using a application ('soft jumper'?!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom