hd moniter no signal plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogoman123

Solid State Member
hi all.

Iam having problems with a hd moniter. I think I should tell the whole story so u can give an accurate answer so plz bear with me.

basically I was using this hd 720p moniter for a while, then I started noticing that the text on websites and in windows was looking weird (letters wouldn't appear correctly (an n would look like an r), some letters were bold when they shouldn't be). thought it was a virus, scanned pc with everything --> negative, then finally formatted --> still there. so I thought (as weird as that sounds) may be its the screen. So I used an old 17" dell moniter using a vga cable and behold --> everything is fine.

The problem starts here: when I tried to reconnect my HD screen using the same cable I was using before (DVI-HDMI), it would say no signal but I can hear the pc booting normally. I bought a new cable --> negative, tried the screen on a different pc and its working normally. removed the gpu and connected the dvi-hdmi cable to the mobo (to use the onboard graphics --> no signal.
I tried this pc--vga cable--HD moniter, and it shows the pc booting but when it gets to loading windows, no signal again.

The moniter isn't actually detected in nvidia control panel. tried a different multi-moniter software but it doesn't show up. multi-mon says I dont have multi moniters when both moniters are connected.
I googled the problem and everyone has different symptoms. so what is going on here? can you plz help me?

thanks

specs:
i5-2400, ASUS P8H61-M Pro, GTX 460 1GB, 4GB RAM, 575W Toughpower Thermaltake

thanks for replying. whats AWOL? I googled it but theres nothing relating to moniters!
and yes it has vga and scart

thanks again. I dont think its dead. The screen works perfectly on another pc using the same dvi-hdmi cable. so it cant be the screen or the cable. I dont think its the gpu either because I tried using the onboard graphics and its the same problem. I also cleared the cmos, but still the same problem.

I have been using the moniter for months and everything was fine, its only when I changed moniters that this started happening.
the pc is working fine (I am using it now, but on my old dell moniter).

can someone help me plz
thanks

I had the same exactly problem you orginally had with font looking weird.. Everything was normal, I updated my graphics card driver and it went weird.. The solution for me was to change the scaling settings and then BAM it all worked fine..

Now for your current issue, it sounds like for whatever reason Windows is unable to load the correct driver or display settings. This is how I would fix this issue:

1. Power down the PC and remove your upgraded graphics card.
2. When you turn it back on make sure BIOS didn't turn off the on board video.
3. Video should come up now, I would go to control panel and uninstall ALL the video driver stuff.
4. Redownload and save the install files to your desktop. DON'T INSTALL and power down the computer.
5. Reinstall the new graphics card and hook your monitor up to it. When the computer starts up I would check BIOS and make sure it has the external graphics card turned on.
6. Get back into the computer and install the drivers/software for the graphics card. Before restarting the computer make sure you disable the on board graphics card.

~~~~~~
You mentioned you can't get an image during normal boot up even in only using the on board VGA.. At this point double check BIOS is using on board video, and boot into safe mode so we can ensure windows doesn't try to load the 3rd party graphics card. That should do the trick cause there isn't anything else we can really mess with.. Oh but do check that your graphics card's external power source is plugged in (if needed).

thanks all for replying.
ok so I have tried changing the resolution -->no effect
I followed lasvegascomputer's steps --> no effect. when I get to step 5, I am back to square one (i.e. no signal on my moniter using dvi-hdmi cable).

I tried a different card (gt240) and behold --> everything works fine, so I think its either the gpu not outputting hd for some reason (which is weird because it was working fine before I changed moniters) or its a drivers issue. I dont think its the latter becuase I just uninstalled the drivers and nothing changed I also tried different versions of the drivers (285.58 and 296.10) but nothing changed.

now I tried using the onboard graphics and only the vga cable gives a signal but it detects the other moniter (which is connected via dvi-hdmi cable) but just won't display anything on it!

so I am lost here, is it the gpu, drivers, or bios or what? it seems that others had a similar problem but none of the threads I found online ended with a solution. can someone help me out here please? I appreciate ur replies, can u suggest something else to try?

thanks again.

I have had this issue and the problem was for whatever reason the graphics card wouldn't be detected by Windows due to a hardware issue.. I would suggest trying this.

1. Make sure you only have one monitor plugged in..
2. Get into Windows using only the VGA onboard graphics. If this means taking the GPU out to make this work so be it.
3. Once your into Windows download the full driver package and install it. If it allows you to install without the graphics card being installed move to the next step.
4. Before you restart go into device manager > and right click and "disable" your on-board graphics card.
5. Power down the PC and install the GPU and make sure you plug the monitor into the GPU.
6. WHen booting go into BIOS and verify ON BOARD GPU is disabled and EXTERNAL is enabled.
7. Once BIOS is confirmed log into Windows normally and see what happens.

Try that it should work. IF NOT I suggest installing that graphics card into any computer and see if it works. Do you think the card got damaged during your truobleshooting? I find it rare to see the card broke if it was just working.. Was your case overheating at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom