HD Enclosure, help plz - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2008, 01:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default HD Enclosure, help plz

Hey there, I am going to be getting a HD enclosure and I would appreciate a couple answer to questions of mine. I am going to need an enclosure for two drives. I am planning on making it so, one drive copies and is identical to the main drive, just incase the main drive craps out.

Now, form what I know theres two was of doing this... one being RAID, and the other is using a program that allows this. I am not exactly sure which either of these does, as I am no computer expert by any means. I need to know which would suit my needs better.

I have lost information to many times from hard drives dieing, and I want to have another hard drive to back everything up on (automatically).

If I use a program for this, will it work on any computer? I mean... would you put the program on which hard drive? The one in the computer or one of the externals or what?

What exactly is RAID? is it in built in the enclosure? or in the hard drive?

Any info would be very helpful thanks!

Oh, and another question... Is it possible to have like an extension for the sata cable to come out of the enclosure and too the computer, instead or aswell as the standard USB/Firewire... so If i am at my main computer for a while I don't need to take it out of the enclosure and put it in the comp for faster reading? can I just get a long sata cable and plug it into the comp?

Old 06-08-2008, 03:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: HD Enclosure, help plz

Wiki gives a good explanation on RAID, you might want to check that out.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 06-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

bump bump bump
Old 06-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Soul gave you the link to explain what RAID is. IT is either hardware or software related.
If it is hardware based then it is done with the mother board having RAID built in. Using a Enclosure you will have to do it software based.

But RAID is not the answer. What hapens if one of those drives fail? You lose the information if you use RAID0. So you would have to use RAID1 to protect the Data and at that point you are using 2 hard drives and getting the space of 1.
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread