HD 4890 vs GTX 275 – Specs Leaked - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-23-2009, 08:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Osiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 36,817
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default HD 4890 vs GTX 275 – Specs Leaked

HD 4890 vs GTX 275 – Specs Leaked

VR-Zone has the specs for the upcoming Radeon HD 4890 and the GeForce GTX 275 cards, both slated for release on April 9. Check it out and then come back here to discuss.
__________________

__________________
Osiris is offline  
Old 03-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
HAVOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milford, Connecticut
Posts: 4,218
Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC
Default Re: HD 4890 vs GTX 275 – Specs Leaked

HD 4890 looks better on paper. The GDDR5 should give it somewhat of an edge. The pricing looks fairly equal.

Might be an ATI FTW.
__________________

HAVOC is offline  
Old 03-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
veedubfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,979
Default Re: HD 4890 vs GTX 275 – Specs Leaked

The thing is, the ddr5 doesnt matter if the 275 has the bigger bus.
__________________
Nothing to see here.
veedubfreak is offline  
Old 03-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Bulldog
 
zmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In an empty Ramen packet
Posts: 4,660
Default Re: HD 4890 vs GTX 275 – Specs Leaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubfreak View Post
The thing is, the ddr5 doesnt matter if the 275 has the bigger bus.
GDDR5 is more than twice the speed of GDDR3 so to beat it the 275 would need more than double the bus length. It doesn't.

Really the GTX275 is Nvidia trying to steal ATI's fire form the launch of their card. Its a reaction card and really adds nothing to their line. The current GTX cards cover every aspect of that market segment. Instead of playing tricks they should work on trying to beat ATI in a price war or something more productive. the 275 is simply a 280 with the 260's memory interface.
__________________


ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
zmatt is offline  
Old 03-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
philbar71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 4,533
Send a message via AIM to philbar71
Default Re: HD 4890 vs GTX 275 – Specs Leaked

so i guess the 4890 is a 55nm overclocked 4870 1GB? things look to be heating up soon.
__________________


The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
philbar71 is offline  
Old 03-23-2009, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
veedubfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,979
Default Re: HD 4890 vs GTX 275 – Specs Leaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
GDDR5 is more than twice the speed of GDDR3 so to beat it the 275 would need more than double the bus length. It doesn't.

Really the GTX275 is Nvidia trying to steal ATI's fire form the launch of their card. Its a reaction card and really adds nothing to their line. The current GTX cards cover every aspect of that market segment. Instead of playing tricks they should work on trying to beat ATI in a price war or something more productive. the 275 is simply a 280 with the 260's memory interface.
Except that ddr5 is NOT more than double the speed. The 4870 runns at roughly 4ghz, the 285 runs at 2500+. So therefore, the bus speed more than makes up for the speed of the ddr5.

Also, why does everyone hate Nvidia for being having better marketting than ATI. Ati has done every single "trick" that nvidia has done, just at different times. I guess its just trendy to hate on nvidia right now.

ATI 975mhz x4= 3900 x (256bit bus / 8) = 124800mb
Nvidia 1161mhz x2= 2322 x (448bit bus / 8) = 130032mb
Thats only 1.6x as fast. Also, when overclocking memory, you gain more bandwidth out of a wider bus than you do out of faster memory.
__________________
Nothing to see here.
veedubfreak is offline  
Old 03-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
Puddle Jumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,286
Default Re: HD 4890 vs GTX 275 – Specs Leaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbar71 View Post
so i guess the 4890 is a 55nm overclocked 4870 1GB? things look to be heating up soon.
The 4870 and 4850 were both 55nm already. Some sites have said that the rv790 die is actually bigger than rv770 but so far they haven't released what changes have been made.
__________________

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Puddle Jumper is offline  
Old 03-23-2009, 10:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Bulldog
 
zmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In an empty Ramen packet
Posts: 4,660
Default Re: HD 4890 vs GTX 275 – Specs Leaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubfreak View Post
Except that ddr5 is NOT more than double the speed. The 4870 runns at roughly 4ghz, the 285 runs at 2500+. So therefore, the bus speed more than makes up for the speed of the ddr5.

Also, why does everyone hate Nvidia for being having better marketting than ATI. Ati has done every single "trick" that nvidia has done, just at different times. I guess its just trendy to hate on nvidia right now.

ATI 975mhz x4= 3900 x (256bit bus / 8) = 124800mb
Nvidia 1161mhz x2= 2322 x (448bit bus / 8) = 130032mb
Thats only 1.6x as fast. Also, when overclocking memory, you gain more bandwidth out of a wider bus than you do out of faster memory.
GDDR5 (not DDR5) is not the same clock for clock as GDDR3.

Quote:
GDDR4 SDRAM introduced DBI (Data Bus Inversion) and Multi-Preamble to reduce data transmission delay. Prefetch was increased from 4 to 8 bits. The maximum number of memory banks for GDDR4 has been increased to 8. To achieve the same bandwidth as GDDR3 SDRAM, the GDDR4 core runs at half the performance of a GDDR3 core of the same raw bandwidth. Core voltage was decreased to 1.5 V.
And

Quote:
GDDR5 is the successor to GDDR4 and unlike its predecessors has two parallel DQ links which provide doubled I/O throughput when compared to GDDR4.
So yes for the same clock and data width GDDR5 is over twice as fast.

The 4870 has 115.2 GB/s of memory bandwidth. The GTX260 has 111.9GB/s.
__________________


ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
zmatt is offline  
Old 03-23-2009, 10:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
veedubfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,979
Default Re: HD 4890 vs GTX 275 – Specs Leaked

obviously i meant gddr5, as ddr5 does not exist. And i did the math up there which just shows that the 275 does in fact keep up with and even beats the 4890. And again, no, it is NOT twice as fast. Gddr5 runs about 1.6x as fast as Gddr3.
__________________
Nothing to see here.
veedubfreak is offline  
Old 03-24-2009, 05:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,479
Default Re: HD 4890 vs GTX 275 – Specs Leaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAVOC View Post
HD 4890 looks better on paper. The GDDR5 should give it somewhat of an edge. The pricing looks fairly equal.
If you look at specs, you would notice that the difference between GTX 260 and GTX 275 is bigger than than the difference between HD4870 and HD4890

GTX 275 has %9.8 higher clock, %13 higher shader speed and %16 higher memory speed . Plus it have %11 more stream processors (240 vs 216).

HD4890 has %13.3 higher clock and 8.3% higher memory speed than HD4870. No increase in stream processors !!
__________________

maroon1 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nvidia Plans GeForce GTX 275 Against Radeon HD 4890 thirdshiftdj New Technology and Products 32 03-26-2009 07:19 PM
GT212 Specs Leaked? Osiris Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 0 01-05-2009 10:27 AM
Leaked GeForce GTX 285 Specs? Osiris Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 3 12-16-2008 11:19 PM
Radeon HD 3850, 3870 Specs Leaked Osiris Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 3 11-06-2007 11:03 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.