Hd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiahou

In Runtime
Hi,

Basically, i've not followed this HDTV thing, so this will sound extremely stupid. 2 questions:-

1 - I got a new graphics card and want to connect it to my HD tv. I got a cable with my graphics card, which is called (on the instructions) a 'HDTV breakout cable' - connects to the back of the graphics card (the 'circle' slot). It is quite a short cable and is an RGB thing (needs another cable to stick into it and connect up to my tv).

However, on my TV, I have a HDMI-DVI slot. Does this mean I should buy a cable to stick into the cable I got with the graphics card? Or should I buy a HDMI to DVI Monitor cable which connects into the DVI connector in the back of my graphics card to the HDMI-DVI slot in my tv? (like this http://www.hardware.info/images/articles/shdmidvi1_550.jpg).

2 - With this HDTV, what does it actually mean? Does it mean I can play movies on my pc, watch them on my tv in HD?

appreciate any help.

some of your info is lacking ;)

It is suggested the best connection is hdmi/dvi to hdmi/dvi, only based on the theory that less analog to digital conversion steps results in a better picture

Not sure what you have on your tv
Not sure what your break out looks like

Your HDTV is just a TV/Monitor, meaning it displays what you feed into it.

If you have movies on your pc in dvd, cd, harddrive form, you can display it on your hdtv.

HD content will be seen as HD content.
SD content will be displayed as SD content.
HDdvd or Bluray content will be seen as 720p or 1080 i/p, both is HD, one being HD and the latter being full HD...via HDMI/DVI.

If you download 720p or 1080i/p content, say trailers or wmv videos from micrsoft.com (example) you can view them as HD regardless of the limitation of HDMI/DVI.

I say the above because that is how content copy protection for HDdvd and Bluray works. It limits full HD only via HDMI/DVI.
High-Definition Multimedia Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and your link seems to be dead

that should be ok, as that would be what I would buy if I wanted to hookup my 1800 to my hdtv :D

now question remains...do you have or plan to get any of the next gen optical formats?

You wouldn't need them to fully enjoy HD video on the HDTV. For example, I can enjoy my HD home movies on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom