Having some issues, possibly power? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 08:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Having some issues, possibly power?

I'm having some seriously weird crashes and stuff lately and I've run tests on my memory, checked my voltages, watched my fans and temps, and none of that has anything to do with it...

so now I'm wondering, what kind of power supply would you expect on a PC like this?

AMD Athlon 64 FX-53
Stock heat sink/fan (not overclocked)
2 512MB PC3200 DDR memory (1024 total)
2 GeForce 6600GT video cards
2 hard drives (1 IDE, 1 SATA)
2 optical drives (1 DVD, 1 DVD-RW)
1 PCI card
5 USB connections
5 case fans

Any suggestions?

We need your help!
AdvancedGeeks.com requires knowledgable mods and users to help handle a variety of tasks. PM me for more info.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

well for a strong system like that, you need at least a 500watt psu or higher.
what is your cureent psu?
if you are having random crashes it is probaly a psu problem like you said.

Old 03-11-2005, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally posted by phosho510
well for a strong system like that, you need at least a 500watt psu or higher.
what is your cureent psu?
if you are having random crashes it is probaly a psu problem like you said.
I really think a 500watt PSU is not nessascary. A good 420watt thermaltake or something would do for that system. However currently, what kind of power supply are you running and what are your voltages (measured with multimeter please)

Im thinking if his power supply is decent, that it's probolly or the cpu being unstable.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

I have a 450W PS however it's pretty much garbage, it was included with the case so that's why I kind of came to the assumption that it's the problem.

I doubt it's the CPU being unstable - that just wouldn't make any sense. It's just losing power. There's no system errors or blue screens or anything like that - just power outage. Windows doesn't register that anything in particular happened, it just restarts.
We need your help!
AdvancedGeeks.com requires knowledgable mods and users to help handle a variety of tasks. PM me for more info.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to bigtimeballer50

try a new psu like 450-500 if that doesent solve ur problem try ur motherboard usualy motherboards crash if they cant handle ur prosseses..
Old 03-11-2005, 12:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

well the thing is, a friend of mine has basically the same setup (A8N-SLI, AMD 64 3800+, stock hs/fan, 2x GeForce 6600GT, 420W PS (Antec), 2 hds, 2 optical drives, 3 case fans), 1GB memory (same type as mine), 2 usb connections, no pci cards. He hasn't had a problem at all.

I'm going to try the OCZ 520W if I can find it locally.. it seems like a rare item but I really want to fix this issue.
We need your help!
Old 03-11-2005, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie

For an SLi system? Dont those always need a lot of wattage to run?

-AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchestor
-MSI K8N Neo4-F
-Sapphire Radeon X850 XT
-2x 1024 Corsair XMS Pro

<form action=\"http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value="Search!"></form> Search TF before you post!
Old 03-11-2005, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Yes, they do.. but 450W is also a lot of wattage.
We need your help!
Old 03-11-2005, 12:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

Specifications
System Requirements

Pentium® III/4/Celeron™ or AMD® Athlon®/Duron® AGP 2.0 or later AGP slot 128MB of system memory Installation software requires CD-ROM drive minimum 300W system power supply An available hard disk drive power dongle (smaller floppy disk drive connector is not sufficient). DVD playback requires DVD drive Recommended Pentium® 4 or AMD® Athlon® XP AGP 3.0 Slot

I dont know what make your card is, but I got this from the XFX website. Minimum of 300watts. thats a bare minimum. and since ur running two, plus everything else in the computer, I'd go for a lot more

-AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchestor
-MSI K8N Neo4-F
-Sapphire Radeon X850 XT
-2x 1024 Corsair XMS Pro

<form action=\"http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value="Search!"></form> Search TF before you post!
Old 03-11-2005, 12:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by dhw200
Specifications
System Requirements

Pentium® III/4/Celeron™ or AMD® Athlon®/Duron® AGP 2.0 or later AGP slot 128MB of system memory Installation software requires CD-ROM drive minimum 300W system power supply An available hard disk drive power dongle (smaller floppy disk drive connector is not sufficient). DVD playback requires DVD drive Recommended Pentium® 4 or AMD® Athlon® XP AGP 3.0 Slot
I'm not sure what system requirements you were looking at, but SLi has nothing to do with AGP.

We need your help!
Closed Thread