having problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the power supply in to have it tested a while ago and was told it was OK. I guess I will have to get another board or see how much it would cost to take the thing in and have it checked by someone. TomW

stupid biostar mobo

Tom,

My next logical question before saying give up is how big is the hard drive you are attempting to use? What speed is the RAM you are attempting to use? What ram slots are your chips installed in?

Also if you could give a rundown of the exact hardware and specs you are using.

ALSO make sure the bus speed of your M5ALA mobo is NOT set to 100mhz! This board is NEVER stable at 100mhz. I have found out from experience. Hope maybe I can help you but I need to know those answers.

Also, you can download the newest BIOS UPDATE for the M5AKA ver 2.0 mobo by http://www.ecwebtek.comclicking here

I included a short text file for installing this newest bios update released by Biostar. As stated in the text file for you and anyone else, I do NOT take responsibilty for this bios update, however it works fine on my Biostar motherboard.

Dont worry the best way to learn comps is to deal with the crappy ones :D

E
http://www.ecwebtek.comclicking here

It is a 12 gig quantum bigfoot, I have 1 100by 64 dimm in the 0 slot for now, bus is at 100, it has a AMD k6-2 500AFX 2.2v core 3.3 I/O [brand new] also have same cpu used, acts the same with either installed. Aztech MDP 7800 fax/modem card, Apollo 7400 video card,Ether 16 lan card, [for cable internet],ES 1869 sound card, I also have a 6 gig bigfoot HDD but does the same with it as the 12 gig. It came with a bigfoot HDD when new and also a AMD k6-2 400 CPU when new. The HDDs have been formated and have 1 partition on them. I have tryed it with all the card removed but the Dimm and still the same, also cards worked in this PC when I tested them, HDDs checked out ok when scanned and was useing the 6 gig in this PC for a while. I also have the updates downloaded for board on floppy but it won't read anything for disks I can start it with 98 boot and 98 install cd disk in it and it is the same as when no disks are in it. It seems to do all the normal stuff when started just like this old PC with the one short beep and the keyboard lights and cdrom light and floppy light flash on and off and screen comes up with installed stuff and I can get into setup if I want but it stops on the next screen with verifying DMI data pool........... with a curser flashing under that. and that is as far as it goes, nothing will cause any thing to happen, no disks, or keyboard buttons will change anything, so basicly, I have had 2 different HDDs, 2 CPUs 2 different CD roms,[both work in this PC] different cables to floppy and CD rom/HDD, power supply checked out by computer shop, battery in board, different boot sequences in set up, Dimm stick is brand new, so I am stumped. How should I set up the thing if not at 100 speed? TomW

If I set speed to 95x5.5 can I still use the same cpu and Dimm to see if it works? Or will I screw things up with more problems. TomW

Hi, If I take the floppy and CD rom and HDD from the PC that is stuck at DMI data pool and hook them all up in this PC and put 98 on them then put them back in the problem PC should I have 98 on it? Or is there also info stored in the motherboards to do with the OS? Or would I be just wasting my time? TomW

Tom,

This mobo seems to only be stable at bus speeds below 95mhz, ie: 75-83mhz at most. However this should not cause it to not read any disks at all.

Mobo is prolly a lost cause at this point. Sorry

E:confused:

I just won another M5ALA ver 2.0 plus a CPU with fan, and a ess1898 sound card, and a cirrus logic 33.6 modem, with a stick of 32mb PC100 DIMM for $15.00 plus shipping on ebay. I will take out the board I have and put in this one when I get it to see if the stupid thing works then. If it does then I can switch to my faster AMD CPU and put in more dimm. TomW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom