Having a little trouble - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Unhappy Having a little trouble

Hi all, I'm building a new computer for myself (trying anyway), and I'm a having a slight problem with it. My specs are as follows:

Power source - True Blue 480W
Motherboard - Abit IC7-G Max II Advance
Processer - Intel Pentium 4 2.8E GHz /w a
prescott core, 800MHz FSB,
and a 1MB cache. Hyperthreading.
Memory - GEiL Golden Dragon 512MB PC3200 DDR
Hard Drive - Samsung 160GB 7200RPM SATA
Video Card - ATI Radeon 9600xt 256MB
Case - ASPIRE X-Infinity Black ATX Mid-Tower

Well this is my problem, I go to start the computer with all the parts in it for the first time and the fans trty to turn but I get no BIOS beeps and the fan sputters and shuts off. I grounded myself and the motherboard did not touch any metal when it was being handled.I also removed the battery and cleared the CMOS. So I systematically began removing the parts to find the problem.When I got the system base it was still doing it. So I started removing the essential parts until all I had left was my motherboard and my CPU. I removed the CPU and the motherboard fan began to spin and the red light that showed it was working came on, as opposed to before when it only blinked for a split second. However, I put a different CPU on that motherboard and it did the same thing. So I think to myself that solves it and had the motherboard RMAed. I get the new one in the mail and guess what, same issue. According to the abit website (www.abit-usa.com) the motherboard and the CPU should be completely compatible. I am more frustrated with this than I ever have been about anything to do with computers. Any help (even if its telling me im completely screwed), is appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 08-26-2004, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

Have you tested a different power supply? It sounds like not enough power is being produced to power the system. Also, have you made sure all jumpers, etc. are set right? Good luck, I hope you get this solved.

Old 08-26-2004, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the reply,
The case originally came /w a 350w power supply (which was piece of junk) and replaced it with the trueblue 480w - which should be enough. As to the jumpers they looked right to me - but im not exactly an authority on those so I could be wrong. I posted this on a-bits forums and it was up for a week or so with no response which seemed kind of ominous to me.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Did you ever power it on with the 350w?
Old 08-26-2004, 07:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yes, same problem, I have tried three different power sources.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Read the manual from your mobo to make sure everything is set right. If it is, try a different video card or RAM to see if the problem persists.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I think I got it working, it was a little odd how it worked, I tooled with the jumpers -- no change. So I took everything out and ran it outta my box --- no change. When I put it back in it mysteriously started working. That was probably the 5th time I have gone through that process. Well, anyways thanks for your help.

Closed Thread