Have I crashed my hard disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggysmile

In Runtime
I dared tweaking the power cables at the of my CD-ROM. Now, when I turned my CPU on, there were two beeps but I didnt see what the message was because there was no available monitor at that moment so I decided to just shut the CPU off. When I turned it on again, with a monitor this time, the screen was blank. The computer tried to read the hard disk for a moment and then nothing! The red Compaq logo in white bakground did not even show up. My floppy drive and my cd-rom drive did not even scanned for bootable medias. What could have had happened? Had I crashed my hard disk, my motherboard, or had just accidentally erased a vital data somewhere?

You're gonna have to state what you meant by "tweak" dude. DId you cut them in half? Did you put them on backwards? ETC....

try to remove your ide cable from ur cd rom first, try to boot without the cd rom first. i think this way might work.

that "tweak" is not that really interesting. just interchanging power cable and ide cables just to let my BIOS recognize my CD-ROM. I already had placed the cables back to where they were plugged before but it still didnt work. Do you think i had crashed my hard disk? or any component of my motherboard?

Im still not sure what youre getting at. Did you do this while the computer was running? Also check to make sure you didnt unseat anything, like your ram or video card. Probably the only way you could have destroyed your hard drive from what youre telling us is if you put the molex(power) connectors in backwards. If that's the case, then you need a new drive. I'd suggest swapping your parts into a known good computer and checking if they work. Its a start.

bobojuice said:
Im still not sure what youre getting at. Did you do this while the computer was running? Also check to make sure you didnt unseat anything, like your ram or video card. Probably the only way you could have destroyed your hard drive from what youre telling us is if you put the molex(power) connectors in backwards. If that's the case, then you need a new drive. I'd suggest swapping your parts into a known good computer and checking if they work. Its a start.

as what ive told you i just switched my CD-ROM's power cable labeled P3 to P5 and then there were two beeps. I turned it off and then back on and then a completely blank screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom