hardware woes - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2005, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default hardware woes

I am working on a new build but...

I am waiting for all the parts and of course $$$$$ is a deterant, so I want to put a band-aid on a gusher.

My current system (it was the kids until the fire burned up the good computer, long story) is a scrap built with an AMD k6-500 it has 500 +/- mb of RAM and a (wow!) 15 gb harddrive (7.5gb free). No idea about the rest of the details(not important)

Heres the deal. Its getting slower cause of all the stuff everybody wants to have so...I am going to buy an used 8gb drive to install as extra space. does it matter if it is a differentt speed from the present drive (5400 vs.7200)? any other tips besides get a new unit?

Old 02-03-2005, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

no..it'll work

Old 02-03-2005, 06:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to 4W4K3

well you might get hardware conflicts using diff brands/speeds/buffering sizes on the same computer. i know my 7200RPM drive wont run with the 10GB 5400RPM i have. i'd say get a cheap 10GB 7200 drive, and it should be 100% compatible no worries.
<marquee scrollamount=\"1\" scrolldelay=\"8\" direction=\"up\" width=\"400\" height=\"65\" style=\"font-family: Verdana; font-size: 8pt\">
Compaq Presario V5000 laptop
Closed Thread