Hardware Upgrade - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2005, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question Hardware Upgrade

Im Currently have a pentium3 866mhz pc with only 64mb ram and a 20g hard drive. I have turned my virtual memory upto about 300mb.

Though the following is running on my computer, and it virtually takes like 15 mins to startup and does not run some programs, too slow.

1. XP Professional
2. Microsoft Office 03
3. Adobe Creative Suite CS2 (Takes like 10mins to open)
4. MySQL SDK stuff
5. Java environment
6. Microsoft Visual Studio
7. .Net environment
9. Maximizer
11. Norton antivirus 03
12. Quark Express
13. Rational Rose

All Of these programs i need to use, but my computer is absolutly too slow...... so how can i make it faster, do i need to buy RAM or something ?????

Photoshop basically does not work at all it takes 15 mins to load and then frezzes for another min or so, every time you click somewhere in the program.....!

Old 06-27-2005, 12:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

pentium3 866mhz pc with only 64mb ram and a 20g hard drive. I have turned my virtual memory upto about 300mb.

Lets see I would upgrade the processor but thats my personal taste. You mut however at least upgrade your ram to 516, I am 480 and I'm thinking about upgrading. Also upgrade your hard drive in todays world 80 is thought of as basic.

Also have you thought of letting the computer become a secondary computer or a "gift computer" I don't mean fo offend you but why not just buy a new PC even a cheaper model around 300-500 will surpas your system in every aspect.

<form action=\"http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search TF before you post!\"></form>
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 06-27-2005, 12:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to neb1211 Send a message via Yahoo to neb1211

You definatly need to buy more ram if you want to run XP on that machine. I personally wouldn't run XP on any rig with less than 256mb of ram. With all the things that you are trying to do I would recommend at least 512mb of ram. However, before you go out and buy more ram, find out the maximum amount of ram that your motherboard supports and also make sure to get the same type of ram (SDRAM or DDR). You may just be better off buying/building a whole new system.

Also why are you running 2 antivirus programs? That is not really necessary. I would get rid of Norton and just stick with AVAST since Norton tends to be a resource hog. Also some newer viruses are able to hide from or disable Norton.
~ Nick
Owner of Maximum CPU and MaxCPU Hosting
Old 06-27-2005, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I was thinking of a buying a new laptop, and money is no problem i have a budget of 4000(AUD) to work with, though I want to upgrade this one aswell...

any ideas on a new computer???
Old 06-27-2005, 12:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

A laptop ? Desktops give the most power. For sure if you wanted to upgrade you need a whole new system, (Processor,RAM,Motherboard) the whole 9 yeard, but you wouldnt need a new HDD. ALthough if you got a new setup you would have to format it and re-install the OS, so that way you could install new drivers, thats just the way to do it, with a lot smaller chances of errors.
Closed Thread