Hardware suggestions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2005, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to pmicka Send a message via Yahoo to pmicka
Default Hardware suggestions

I need some help with hardware brand names. I am new to actually worrying about what is going on inside of my computer (instead of just reformating everytime I have a problem) so I need some help on brand names, I know about a few brandnames, but I don't know enough. I don't want to spend any more money than I have to while building my computer. Any brand name suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, lets say ive chosen an Intell pentium 4 3.06 GHz CPU, what kind of motherboard do I need to go along with it? I am completely lost.

If anyone is feeling charitable, my AIM and Yahoo handles are UKpumper, I would appreciate any help.

Old 06-23-2005, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

What parts?

Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

try www.overclockers.co.uk or

they tell you what mobo to use for what pentium just look for the right sockets.

and brand names id go for

but be more specific do you plan to build it? then ud need to no about PSU's and which is good any more info?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Try www.Tomshardware.com. They have good reviews on nearly all computer parts.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to pmicka Send a message via Yahoo to pmicka

Well, thanks for all the help. For those of you who read the original post before I edited it, I don't need xeon, I didn't know it was for servers.

hkfnstang helped me figure out what I wanted over Yahoo. So here is what I've got planned:

ECS PF4 Extreme-Intel 915P & ICH6 Chipset DDR2 400 1PCI Expressx16 3PCI AGP Audio LAN ATX Socket 775 with cpu - Pentium 4 540 3.2GHz LGA775 1MB PRESCOTT 800 fsb w/heatsink & fan

Corsair PC3200 1GB

Thats all I've got planned so far other than the case. Thanks for the input. Also, I was wondering, what is a "magneto - optical drive"?
Closed Thread