Hardware questions maybe you can help me with

Status
Not open for further replies.

speksta

Solid State Member
Right now I upgraded my computer with new hardware and have been causing some problems mainly with the new installed hardware and such..... Basically what I want to do is to reformat without losing all my files and such. I'm interested in purchasing a new HD to transfer all my files that are currently on this HD to my new one. Then reformat my old HD and use that to have windows on it. I'm looking for a 100+ GB HD, and i'm not familiar with what I type I need to be compatable with my computer. I think it's the Mobo that matters right? I have a NF7-S v 2.0 and I was looking around at new egg and maybe someone here can help me select a decent HD. Thank you

Well unless you have a board out of the ordinary you can use a standard IDE hard drive. They are basically the drives that sit in the 3½" bays like a floppy drive and have the wide ribbon cable plug into them. So long as that is what you have already, another one with about 120 gig shouldn't set you back too much.

Get a decent one with 7200rpm etc... Alternativle you can get an external USB/Firewire drive which will be about twice the price. Either way you connect the new one to the computer, et windows read and install it and then drag the file and folder you want over to the new one.

Reinstall windows on the old drive and then copy back over any folders you want on the old drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom