Hardware Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanelov

Solid State Member
Hi there.

I have the following problem:

A while ago, I messed up my processor (trying to clean the dust off it a little bit), so I bought a new one, thinking that it would fix the problem. The new one is exactly the same as the old one - AMD Athlon Xp 2000 +. The PC powers now, but nothing appears on the screen. I only saw some output on the screen once(the BIOS version and some of the pc's configuration and then it froze), and since then nothing comes on it. Also I noticed, that when I start the pc, the buttons on the keyboard don't flash for a second (and they usually do, when the system checks for the hardware). I wonder what the problem could be? Is it something with the processor (may be did not install it correctly), or could there be something wrong with the motherboard (all the drives and hdd power, though)?

Any suggestions, please?

well, carefully :) ...
... but as I said i put a new processor, which made the pc work, but i am not sure why nothing comes on the screen, and that one time when it came it froze in about 20secs. ???

you might be having the same problem as i am.. i also have booting and freeing problems after i treid installing a new cpu fan.. when i get home fro school im going to check my fan, i would sugest you do the same.. also, if you can get into your cmos, check your cpu fan temperature, if you arejust starting your comp and it is rapdily going up (like it is doing to me) then your problems are most likely with overheating.

well, i installed the new cpu and fan last night (it was pain to attach the fan to the motherboard), so as soon as i installed it i started the pc but nothing displays on the screen (i guess the cpu cannot heat over that fast). Is that still a CPU/ FAN problem, or could it come from the AGP/ Video card. I still wonder if it is the cpu, cause as i said the lights on the keyboard do not flash on hardware check-up.

yep, I was thinking that there was something wrong with the motherboard and it couldn't power the video card, or may be something wrong with the Bios, and it wouldn't display anything on the screen.

But, now I am totally lost.

read the subject that i made about my cpu fan problem, someone offered some suggestions which i will try when i get home.. that might work for you aswell since you just installed a new fan..

hm, i read it and now i am wondering if it would do any better to my processor if I unattach the heathsink and switch sides (left goes on the right and right on the left). Also, I am scared not to mess up the cpu again, because some of that paste or whatever it isa called that was on the heathsink is already glued to the cpu, so if i do that there might be a direct contact between the cpu and the fan, and I don't know if that will screw my cpu again?

dont know bro, i have some of that stuff on my cpu aswell, but i dnt have mcuh to lose and dont want to pay a repairman 200 bucks if it might be a 1 minute job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom