Hardware - Mainboards That Like Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
Can anyone here tell me what mainboards and other hardware they've successfully got working with linux (any distribution especially debian)? I'm trying to compile a list of items that i can use to build a linux system and i'd like the least amount of problems/compatibility issues. My main concern is in choosing a mainboard.

I'm interested in hearing from users of this forum who have built systems before or dealt with hardware compatilibity issues.

I got my abit NF7-M working fine with linux, save for the onboard video which was replaced it runs fine. I run slackware. Initially I was under the impression that you could not use the onboard LAN for net because it is nforce2 chipset. After I poped in another NIC and DL and install nvidia drivers for the mainboard it worked fine all on its own.

Thanks dlittlebear. I was thinking no one would reply to this post. What exactly is slackware?? What kinda linux are you running? What have you done with it so far? What NIC did you use and what video card did you go with?

*makes a note about the NF7-M.

http://www.linuxiso.org best place to get any distro IMO.

IMO slackware is about the best distro, not bloated like RH.

I use slackware as my desktop OS at work, I do about everything I need to with it even play GL type games.

the NIC I used to get on the net to get the nForce drivers was a d-link 530tx I believe is the full model #. The Abit NF7-M has an onboard Gforce 4 440mx, though due to it being onboard it takes about 30sec for the driver to initialize the card because it has to probe for it. When I have a card, nvidia is all I have atm sorry, in the AGP slot it comes up within 3sec or less of typing startx or KDM/XDM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom