Hardware Issue???????????/

Status
Not open for further replies.

T22 4me

Baseband Member
Working on a Compaq Desktop......500mhz processer,10 gig hard drive,128 mb ram...................Worked fine.Bought a new 128 mb stick sd ram pc133 off ebay.Installed it...........Now It Boots up,and somewhere during process of starting Windows 2000 it goes back to the Boot up...............this is a never ending cycle.If I go into Bios it recognizes the Ram and appears to have no issue with it.............But;nothing I have tried changes the cycle..I have even tried removing the new ram numerous times..........Its a nice little box...I hate to just toss it................HELP

Can I run that from Bios?............As Windows never fully loads..........If so How do do that?......thanks for responding............:)

I have tried puttind the windows cd in before startu
p ;but ,it just trys and fails to start windows still...

You have to boot from the Windows 2000 CD itself...so first go into your BIOS and set the boot order to boot from the CD-ROM drive as the 1st option. I usually do CD-ROM>FLOPPY>HARD DISK. Then it will say something like "press any key to boot from CD"..do so and it will take you to the windows setup.

Bypass the first screen. Even though it says"R" this is not what we want. Pretend to proceed with the new install and then it will scan your system for previous versions of Windows. It should say "windows found a previous installation at C:\WINNT, would you like to repair?" if so press "R". At that time you press R to begin the repair process. This will not delete any data. As long as you never chose an option that says reformat you should be ok :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom