Hardware Integration with C++ - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 10-01-2003, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question Hardware Integration with C++

Do any one know how to integrate hardware from C++, like i want to use parallel port to control the electric appliences of my home, and i want to integrate it with C++, do any one of you know how to do that???

Old 06-21-2005, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i don't, it sounds like you need a converter of some sort

good luck

Old 06-21-2005, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Well tell us more info about the h/w man. It depends on if the h/w supports it of course. For example, I can't use "C++" to power my toaster ..

In general, you can do it. Post more detailed specs of the device and what you want to do.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Thumbs up

You can integrate C++ to the hardware. We did it in our college in our last semester. With certain commands from C++ you can control the bits on parallel port and you can turn them on or off(1 or 0) You will need to make a hardware which i dont know much about how to do but i remember a little. We used some automatic switches which would turn to one side to allow the electricity to pass and we could flip flop those switches by using C++ commands. So u can control ur home devices but u need to make this control box and keep in mind that ur Parellel port is not powerfull enough to run a toaster so u use the power from the parallel port to just flip the switches and the rest is done by the electricity and the appliances.

I hope it helped ! Best of luck
Old 06-21-2005, 03:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Thats about what I was going to say. Relays I think they are called. We have a bunch of them on a robot we built for FIRST. Actually melted one of the PWM pins on the fuse a few days ago...
AGP won\'t fit in PCI-E... unless you use a really good hammer. ~Trotter
Closed Thread