hardware installation - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to rythemposition
Default hardware installation

My friend bought a new computer with a 40 gig HD (Maxtor Model:34096H4) He installed Win xp professional on it.. A day or 2 later he got a new 160 gig HD and put that in instead. He gave me his old one and i decided to put it into my girlfriends computer because she has a old 10 gig one. Well, I installed it correctly and set it to master.. But when i turn the computer on, it freezes at the COMPAQ screen. Is it because win xp is already on it???? When i hooked up her old HD back it ran like normal so its not the computer. For some reason i think that the computer is not detecting it. If anyone has any info or suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

Old 01-29-2005, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

MAXTOR IS GAY , anywho , maxtor is probley not compadable with your motherboard and youll need to install the ez bios crap that comes with most maxtor hard drives , you can download it from there website , put it on a floppy and install the hard drive that way .

samsung 512 mb pc 3200
WD 80 gig ata100 7200 rpm
Onboard sound / realtek 5.1 based sound
7 year old cheap *** 17\" monitor but looks great , im surprised its still running , its bin through 5 computers so far.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

You can't simply throw in a hard drive that has an OS installed on it from another system and put it in a different computer and expect it to work.

You need to format that drive he gave you and reinstall windows.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Pilotwings119 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotwings119

THANK YOU, NUBIUS!!

" You can't simply throw in a hard drive that has an OS installed on it from another system and put it in a different computer and expect it to work. You need to format that drive he gave you and reinstall windows."

You cant just yank out the operating system the computer is used to, shove in a new one and think it'll be fine!!!
Old 01-29-2005, 11:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Pilotwings119 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotwings119

And RangerXero, Maxtor is NOT gay! maxtor is a great hd! any big company like that makes good quality products.
Closed Thread