Ok guys here's the setup now:

Asus p4p800s
Pentium 4 2.4 533 northwood
2 x Kingston 256 pc2100 ram
Geforce 6800 (regular)

Other stuff:
Wester Digital 7200 rpm 100 gig HD
Soundblaster 5.1 live
300w power supply (I know that's gonna have to change)

I know that my cpu is limiting my geforce. I can only get up to about 47 fps on the Doom 3 timedemo on 1024 resolution and medium quality and I have a strong suspicion that the fsb of my cpu coupled with the slow speed and low amount of my ram are the major factors in this. My question is: what is the best value upgrade for me. The asus will take pretty much every component that I can afford (i.e. no extreme edition stuff or athlon upgrade) so I'm just wondering what the best combination of ram and cpu would be for the least amount.

Thanks

y not AMD? if your talking specifically for games.

intel's FSB is quad pumped, so u would need a 800fsb intel cpu to run pc3200.

well I was able to run the doom3 demo on high settings 800x600 resolution with reasonable gameplay. An article I read said it'd look better at 1024x768 at medium resolution than high on 800x600, but I have yet to try it

Dont get me wrong, I would LOVE to upgrade to an FX 53 but I just got this mobo so I'm gonna work on it for a while.

Nubius how are you able to run two different types of ram.

Can I go up to a 3.0 gig HT and 2 x 512 pc3200 ram with 300 watts ps?

Is 1 x 512 pc 3200 faster than 2 x 256 pc 2100?

What are the image quality settings all about for the 6800. What is the difference between the Performance and the Quality settings, and why do I get faster framerate when it is set on High Quality and slower framerate when it is set on High Performance?

Much thanks for the replies

According to this you will be using 304W. I would use the calculator yourself because I assumed a few things when I used it for you.

If you can, use two sticks of 512MB PC3200. Your mobo supports dual channel ram, so using two sticks will utilize the dual channel.

for AMD the 1x 3200 would be faster.

but intel is quad pumped, so it depends on the ram running in duel channel, so i dont know.

performance = fast gameplay
quality = higher image detail at the cost of performance.

your last ? is missworded and confusing.

No it is not missworded.....I get more fps with the High Quality setting (approx. 47.9) than I get when High Performance is on (approx. 43.2). Both demo's are run three times apiece with the final being an average of the last two scores.

Yes, I got about the same on the wattage I need. But isn't that with everything running at full bore? I mean, if I need 304 watts and I have 300 watts am I really gonna be hatin' it that much?

Also, going up to the 800 fsb and HT should I consider an increase in cooling for my case. Right now all I have is a thermaltake volcano 478 and the power supply fan cooling my stuff.

Much thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom