Hardware confusion! - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 05:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
True Techie

My laptop came with a hidden partition which held a restore file incase the operating system failed. I'm not saying that is where your missing GBs are but it is a possibility.

Computer:
Athlon 64 3500+
ASUS A8V-E Deluxe Motherboard
2x512MB 400MHz DDR Dual Channel
Gigabyte X800XL - 256MB Mem
Maxtor Y160M0 - 160GB SATA
Maxtor 80GB PATA
Xaser III Case
Win XP Pro SP2
ViewSonic VX924 19\"LCD 4mS(ish)
Old 08-10-2005, 09:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to phantom555
Cool *sigh*

Quote:
Nothing wrong with laptops, well, apart from the fact that your upgrade path is very limited. The problem you have is laptops are not as generic as PCs and not many people will have come across your model.
Last one I had there was a flap underneath to gain access to the memory.
It is often easier (and cheaper) to buy a newer one than try to source memory (some of it is specific to your model) for a very low gain in performance.
I am guessing that it is quite old.
Mr. CJJohnson,
version may be old. But its new!.

Quote:
It looks as though your main mem is soldered onto the motherboard. The slot is to add extra memory.
yes i understood.

Quote:
My laptop came with a hidden partition which held a restore file incase the operating system failed. I'm not saying that is where your missing GBs are but it is a possibility.
U mean a system restore file?. But that dosen't require much space, does it?.
But here i am discussing hard disc hardware as a separate component. Its 2.31 Gb missing.
Now tell me CJ, suppose u had 80 Gb hard drive space and only 50 Gb were made shown available. Will you assume that the remaining space got consumed by formation of a restore file!.
Isn't there is this internal floppy kind of thing that already restores the whole system data, when we reboot or start anew?.
Specifically does the amt of hard drive space mentioned on its case is totally shown on the system or not?.
plz reply.

-----------------
phantom

Old 08-11-2005, 12:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
True Techie

Lightbulb *sigh*

Just to add-on,
i checked my system summary page.
In the storage section, there is specified that partition is there!. First one is of existing 2Gb disk space and the second one of 15Mb. There is no clue as to what that 15Mb is used for.
Then there are other specifications like something is written called IDE, which says there is a status error in the secondary IDE.
This is the only information i could found out. Btw system restore requires only 200Mb.
I just want to check if i could use that complete space provided by hard disk hardware case.
could anyone help me out plz.

------------------
phantom
Old 08-11-2005, 05:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
True Techie

You cannot use the full size of a hard disk but it shouldn't be to the extent that you are mentioning. This is due to cluster sizes and the fact that manufacturers quote disks as megabits rather than megabytes (hope I didn't lose you there). for example, I have a 163GB hard drive, once formated it only has 152GB available, it has lost 11GB. This is emphsised more in the bigger hard drives. Yours will lose some but not that much.
My invisible partition for restore was 4GB, this is set by the vendor, not Windows itself.
Try running error checking or scandisk for that drive in windows, it will tell you if there are any errors and give you a report.
What version of Windows do you have?

Computer:
Athlon 64 3500+
Maxtor 80GB PATA
Xaser III Case
Win XP Pro SP2
Old 08-11-2005, 05:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
True Techie

I should maybe explain that most vendors give you a restore CD just incase you have to reload windows after a failure/format. This is what was held in my invisible partition. When the computer booted it would ask me if I wanted to reinstall windows. Nice and user friendly, but not much use if the whole hard disk fails.

Computer:
Athlon 64 3500+
Maxtor 80GB PATA
Xaser III Case
Win XP Pro SP2
Old 08-19-2005, 05:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
True Techie

Lightbulb Hmmm

Hi,
I have tried out Spybot S&D, and when it is scanning...just below the user interface there are names flashing. For egs. (1333 out of 26566- XXXdialer) or (2444 out of 26566- WWWcoolwebsearch) or (3000 out of 26566- gator)
Now from where are these programs installed!??. I've tried to search in Windows folder too. But to no avail. Are these programs installed in the hidden part of the harddisk drive???.
Now how to access this hidden part?.
Also the secondary sector of IDE harddisk is showing error 29.
Any solutions?.

----------------
phantom
Old 08-23-2005, 08:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
True Techie

I feel really glad to tell that i used a software from acronis about Disk partition, and i found that i had 2 Gb of harddrive space unallocated.
Finally i put it into use by making that free partition as a primary drive. Now i've got 4 gb complete.

-------------------
phantom

Closed Thread