Hardware Canucks Gpu reviews (recent)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you happen to check out the other benchmarks in the article? Seems red did pretty good overall.

The conclusion:
Even though I will shy away from naming a “best of the best” card for every situation, some mention has to be made of certain cards which stood out for either their value and performance or lack thereof. First and foremost comes the Übermensch HD 4870 X2 that will cost you an arm, a leg and a testicle but provides blisteringly fast performance…as long as ATI's driver team could work their magic. Unfortunately, it couldn't keep up in all instances since work still needs to be done on Crossfire implementation in some games but when it worked like it was supposed to, nothing could touch it. We will stay with the high end since if there was one overriding disappointment in this whole article it was the performance of the GTX 280. Overall, its performance was within spitting distance (think 10%) of a GTX 260 216 sporting minor overclocks while retailing for significantly more. It seems like Nvidia backed their high-end card into a corner while trying to compete with the HD 4870 512MB and 1GB cards since with the new GTX 260 around, the thought of $500+ spent on a GTX 280 is less than appealing.

As we come down into the sub-$400 price category, things become even less clearly defined. If one of the standouts has to be our GTX 260 with 216 SPs since it provides great performance right across the board. Indeed, I would even recommend an overclocked GTX 260 216 over a GTX 280 considering how close the two cards are performance-wise. Since you will probably ask; the HD 4870 1GB really doesn't hold much sway for me considering more often than not it can barely keep a lead over its 512MB brother yet it costs quite a bit more. Its price premium is completely unjustified unless you are playing at ultra high resolutions with every imaginable IQ bang and whistle enabled. However, you still have to take into account that the extra memory does have its uses and for all we know, 1GB could become the standard in the not so distant future. Only time will tell.

Interestingly, with the inclusion of the HD 4870 1GB into the lineup at the $350 to $400 mark and the discontinuation of the standard GTX 260, the HD 4870 512MB sits all on its own in the $250 to $300 price bracket. Basically if you are looking for a $275 card and don't have the cash to bump up to a GTX 260 216, you should be happy with your single option because let me tell you; it is a perfect choice.

The 9800 GTX+ has stolen much of the HD 4850's initial performance thunder over the non “+” model but that doesn't stop the ATI card from performing admirably in many of the games. Pricing for the HD 4850 is also quite attractive which had a positive impact on its price per FPS numbers and another reason why people will be drawn to it. To be honest, this race around the $200 price mark is far too close to call considering the two cards trade blows like a pair of prize fighters without either being able to deliver a knockout punch.

you have to realise tho if they are evry even nvidia is a better purchase, WAY better WARRANTY, covers over clocking and cooler changing and everythign step up. double life time, physx establishing itself, and finally folding. liek if the cards are even i would side with nvidia, also driver stability for nvidia. i havent had to drop back to older drivers since the 160's.

you have to realise tho if they are evry even nvidia is a better purchase, WAY better WARRANTY, covers over clocking and cooler changing and everythign step up. double life time, physx establishing itself, and finally folding. liek if the cards are even i would side with nvidia, also driver stability for nvidia. i havent had to drop back to older drivers since the 160's.

Folding performance doesn't matter to me and physx won't unless it becomes much more widely supported. It's not like many of us keep video cards much longer than a year so the waranty is a plus but for me it only comes into play picking which brand to go with (evga, xfx, msi, sapphire etc) but not the model of the card. I can't complain about nvidia's drivers because they are stable but ati's have been pretty good recently too.

It pretty much comes down to me only caring about gaming performance with aa and nothing else.

both of em seem to have their favorite games.. and really in the end it comes down to which games you want to play... but even then so.. when 1 card does better than the other.. its by a very small marginal amount

so really.... you win either way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom