hardrive problem!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jam9_secretagen

Solid State Member
hey all i just signed up here to ask for help on my new hardrive(60 gig) that i just bought..

Now i have set the hardrive on master and inserted into my computer out of which i have replace the old hardrive with this one. Now when i try to install windows 98 on the new hardrive it just hangs on the screen where it says " SCANNING REGISTRy" then it gives me a message WINDOWS REQUIRES 70..... bytes to be installed and you have 0 bytes...

can anyone tell me what i should do in order to install windows 98 on my new hardrive??

You might have to partition it for the Windows installer to be able to see that there is actually a writable area on the disc. Give that a shot.

yea i did make partions of 50% meaning (30 gigs) but still no luck it gave the same message!

btw.. even when i type c:/dir it says drive unavailable!

Check in your BIOS to make sure the new drive is detected properly. If it does not, double check your jumper settings. Some drives - if it's the only drive on the IDE cable - require a specific jumper setting.

Lone Wolf said:
Some drives - if it's the only drive on the IDE cable - require a specific jumper setting.

Adding to that... sometimes the HD has to be placed on the end of the IDE cable for it to be seen/transfer data correctly.

yes it is connected at the end of the cable and just wanted to know how would i check if my hardrive is being detected? and what if it doesnt get connected then what?

yes i think thats what i have to do but how would i know if its FAT32?

can i check through dos mode and can i change it too? if so then how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom