Harddrive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zipp080

Baseband Member
Alright today I built an amd64 system as stated in an earlier post. I was having problems getting it to boot, but now I finally solved the problem and got it to boot. Now my problem is with the harddrive. When I first got it to boot, it showed the 3 drives: CD rom, A drive, and the IDE harddrive. I was messing with the boot disks and after messing around abit later, I realized that my harddrive was no longer being detected. Only my A drive and cdrom were actually shown. I tried switching ribbon cables, I tried switching the power cables around. I took off the A drive completely. Everytime I boot and it goes to the BIOS, it just says "NOT DETECTED" by the IDE primary device.

Also alittle strange is that if I don't go into the BIOS or if I go into a perticular setup prog, it tells me that I failed to overclock everytime such as "YOU FAILED TO OVERCLOCK THIS SYSTEM!"
something on the lines of that, I do not know the exact wording, but on the lines of that I failed to overclock when I never even tried to overclock or know how to. Is it suppost to say this?

In the middle of my connecting and reconnecting the A drive, I left the power supply plugged into the wall, but I had the computer shut down completely. Could I of blown my harddrive up so it just isn't being detected anymore?

I dont think you blew up the hard drive.But ive worked on alot of computers and have never seen a error like that myself.So at first the drives showed,what do you mean messing with the boot disks.And do you already have a OS installed and if so what is it.also it might help to set your bios to default settings.If you have the cd rom on cable with is one master and one slave.

Alright, Well I unplugged all 3 devices and just plugged in the harddrive itself. So I have a ribbon cable going straight from my harddrive into the PRIM ide slot. And I have a power cable going into it. When I boot it recognizes the harddrive. Now When I plug in the CDROM it stops recognizing the harddrive. I used a totally seperate ribbon cable to plug in the CDROM into the SECondary ide slot. Am I hooking it up wrong I take it? Because if I unplug the cdrom, then it recognizes the harddrive; if I plug in the cdrom, then it deosnt recognize the harddrive.

And the harddrive is a DELL 20gb I had from my other system. I just transfered it over. It currently has windows XP on it, but I was just going to reformat it.

Alright, hes an easier question. I have 4 different types to plug in my 3 devices. In which should I put them.

I have

Primary Master
Primary Slave
Secondary Master
Secondary Slave

Where Should I put each of my : Harddrive, cdrom, A-drive

Currently I have my harddrive on Primary Master and its being recognized.

PS. I went into my bios settings and looked at the voltages. And the bottom 2 (5 V and 12 V) were jumping from grey to red. Is that bad? I have a 400w powersupply on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom