HardDrive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default HardDrive

Hi All,
I bought a 250gb hard drive which was working great, it is a WD hard drive.
I gave it to my friend to put something on it and he returned it a few days later. The harddrive won't work now!

I mean, when I attach the hard drive to different computers all it does is say hard drive installed and ready to use. However nothing is seen in my computer, no hard drive is seen. I went in to the control panel and still don't see the hard drive on disk management tool.
Then I went into the Device manager, I can see a WD hard drive attached to the computer, but when I ask the Harddrive info to show up it says hard drive not readable can't populate info on the hard drive.

What could be causing this prob. Normally when I attached the hard drive, it would automatically react and open up a windo asking me to do all different this such as play music, play video, open folder etc.

shoot, is the hard drive trash now?

Old 03-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke
Default Re: HardDrive

thats strange, well did he do something to it, does it look like it was damaged.

Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 03-01-2008, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well, I trusted him... and he doesn't admit to doing anything to it. But after my paranoid brian started going throught the horrible scenarious of what he might have done to the hard drive, I "noticed" like a rolling screw inside the hard drive. I can only hear it, don't know what it actually is, then I felt the hard drive to see if something was revolving inside and don't seem to feel anything revolving inside.
So I suspect the hard drive was dropped or something, however hard drive is superficially fine.

So what do I do? Is my paranoia of a broken hard drive right?
Old 03-01-2008, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devious Techie

Send a message via ICQ to therascalking Send a message via AIM to therascalking Send a message via Yahoo to therascalking

not %100 if this will help, but i use it on all of my WD harddrives... DL and see if this program recognizes it, and if can fix it in any way maybe...

Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools Download

good luck - RK

*School, work, girls? No time for computers! :P*
Old 03-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

if that doesn't work instead of just getting another one (and making your friend pay for it hehe) look inside it, if there is something rolling around it might be easily fixed, what do u got to loose at that point.
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 03-01-2008, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Devious Techie

Send a message via ICQ to therascalking Send a message via AIM to therascalking Send a message via Yahoo to therascalking

right... dont do anything too drastic to it tho... in %99 of cases, theres a way to fix it (or at the very least, recover the data on it) if you just look hard enough... - RK

Old 03-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

had to do that to a cd drive once, one of the gears was all fuc*** up and it was brand new, just opened it up very carfully and replaced the gear, if you do it slowly, if you take out anything mark down where it came from (just in case.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I mean the friend is a responsible person, but... I don't know. Just the fact that I may loose so much money for trusting someone is pssng me off. But again these are reactions, I am going to try the WD diagnostic software as suggested otherwise I will do drastic things after
Old 03-01-2008, 08:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Just in case I need to become a hardware surgeon, any of you guys know how to open this type of hard drive WDXMSA2500TN... It has no visible screws on the outside.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Devious Techie

ohhh... its a WD passport... you didnt say that, i dont think...
i would strongly advise against opening that up then... its not made to be opened... if all else fails, id send that in to WD and hope its under warranty... : / - RK

Closed Thread