Harddive missing bottom panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Org

In Runtime
I got a HDD from newegg.com and it didn't have the bottom panel (there's a small circuit board and some kind of wire exposed). Idk maybe some HDD's don't come with a back panel so I emailed western digital asking if there should be a bottom panel (attached an image of it aswell) and they said "This drive does not come with a bottom panel. For more information please visit our support web page: http://support.wdc.com/product/kb.asp?modelno=WD5001AALS".

Is that poor support or do some harddives just not come with the bottom panel?

I re-e-mailed them (before making this topic) asking if they where sure the back panel shouldn't be there b/c it sure looks like there should be one and I got this response:

"Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.

You need to contact the seller for more information on the product you purchased. Western Digital doe not support OEM hard drives.so I can't tell you what should be included with an OEM product."

Does this mean they won't support the 5 year warranty?

They will, they just have no idea of what your specific drive is. But there are no normal hard drives on the market that have a bottom panel, there should be nothing in a case that would short them out anyways.

LIke the others said, hard drives don't come with a bottom panel to cover the circuit board.

all of the hard drives i have owned have no cover on the bottom. (other then my ssd, which is not really a hard drive, it is a solid state drive, but you could consider it one)

The only HDDs i have that have a bottom cover are my WD Raptor X's because they have a case around them but my WD Black 1TB doesnt have a bottom cover. There is no point in having one so they just don't waste the money putting one on. Don't worry, your drive is fine and WD will still honor the warranty, they just don't provide support for it.

picard-facepalm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom